Transfer rumours

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

When was the last time we signed a highly rated young player who other clubs were monitoring? I know Liverpool were supposedly keeping tabs on Jamal Lewis, but in hindsight you can see why they eventually decided not to follow up.

We are more inclined to pay daft money for the likes of Joelinton who no one has heard of. The really top younger players will have lots of genuine options ahead of us. 

He seems to fall into the category of not quite being at the level where top clubs would necessarily bring him in at this stage but would want to see more of him in a better league first, and so seems to fit into what MA tends to want. Like most of the French battalion we signed back in the day.  

10 minutes ago, Pilko said:

This is also the week when we start doing things traditionally, just on the eve of the first match in order to save on wages.

Yup that's another clear strategy, which is honestly so utterly pathetic. Love bringing in players with no pre season with their new team. It's genius.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He seems to fall into the category of not quite being at the level where top clubs would necessarily bring him in at this stage but would want to see more of him in a better league first, and so seems to fit into what MA tends to want. Like most of the French battalion we signed back in the day.  

Well that is sort of the point, you are having to go back quite a bit when you are talking about signing highly desirable players, I was also thinking back to Cabaye and Debuchy, those two were already well established in French football. I think it's been a while since we've made signings of that calibre. 

We are still trying to buy good players for £10m when prices have more than doubled for anyone half decent. 

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well that is sort of the point, you are having to go back quite a bit when you are talking about signing highly desirable players, I was also thinking back to Cabaye and Debuchy, those two were already well established in French football. I think it's been a while since we've made signings of that calibre. 

We are still trying to buy good players for £10m when prices have more than doubled for anyone half decent. 

Not sure if there were others interested but Merino felt like a steal at the time

22 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yeah, that's because Rafa was not interested in the strategy at all, which is why they never signed any players for him and he had to go rummaging in the bins last minute.

Mike Ashley wants to sign young prospects from the continent, and mostly France, that he can potentially flip for a profit.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

ASM is a steal imo

He is, but wasn't he considered a luxury player in France? I think we were all quite surprised at how good he actually is. Except for @KaKa who seems to rave about every player we are linked with. 

Tbf, I do agree with his point that Rafa didn't really rate the policy of signing young promising players, he was much more about signing players who played a specific role in his team. 

12 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

He was considered a player with a bad attitude but bags of talent as I recall it.

Would it be fair to say those type of players are more use to us than they would be a side looking to qualify for Europe? Obviously I mean the signing when it was made, and not in hindsight. A maverick player is usually more useful to a team that needs to only avoid relegation, the better teams want consistent performers who work in a team plan. 

Obviously in hindsight, he looks a lot better than that, but that would have been other club's thinking at the time. 

Possible he is an alternative to Kamara as the second more defensive midfielder? If the repeated turned down bids for Kamara are true this could be a call their bluff move or we have actually moved on. Third option, it's Midtjylland/his agent driving up interested and the price. Ship Longstaff and Shelvey out and get both please. 

Edit: watched his "welcome to Brentford video" loves a sneaky turn and surprisingly skilled for a DM. Whether he can make the step up to the PL who knows. Can see him trying that shit and getting steam rolled lol.

Edited by toontownman