More transfer rumours

midds

The owners have been very consistent in their ability not to rush a single decision. They were slow on sacking Bruce, slow on appointing Howe, slow on appointing a CEO, refused to be bent over a barrel on Ashworth and they weren't exactly speedy gonzales when signing players in January.

However, there decisions have been excellent so far and will be during this transfer window.

5 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

Before I start, it’s not my intention to have a go at our owners. It’s been a breath of fresh air seeing all the work they are doing behind the scenes, to make our club be part of the community again and potentially fighting it out in the top half of the PL.

I do however think there might be an opportunity missed this season if we don’t strengthen further…..Striker, RW and another midfielder is a priority IMO. Positions 11-8 are up for grabs with what we already have, but we should be focusing on 5-7. Strengthen the areas mentioned and I believe we can compete with Arsenal,West Ham and ManU…it’ll be a long season and without a strong squad with good cover for all positions, we might struggle over 40 odd games. 

I know there has been a lot of talk about FFP,  and I don’t think we really know what real effect this is having on transfers, but I think we need to take a bit of a gamble financially and get players of decent caliber for the positions. 

A strong season with potential to get 6th/7th would have a big impact on next years transfer targets. A steady season getting us into top 10 might just make it that bit harder to attract players on the next level to what we are looking at.

Now of course, it’s still very early in the transfer market and we may find that our owners will come up with the investment, and bring in a few more players. 

Even if we don’t introduce any new signings the infrastructure set up will over time develop the club into a regular top 5/6……BUT I would love us to have a go at challenging the elite in the PL next season or at least give them a bit of a shock…..So I wait, as we all are, over the next month to see if we are active in the transfer market which will show us where our owners are hoping to be next May…..BRING IT ON.

Great post. Direct, cheeky chips, mazy magic runs and beautiful touches. Your name sake would approve! 

Spoiler

7E53139E-2A84-4319-9C4F-9363BE6BF482.thumb.jpeg.a150571c156ac6b3bd7c88dfb9c8e5a9.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Doesn't seem like we had much of a plan for attacking players other than Ekitike and are now a bit stumped with how to proceed. Hope I'm wrong. 

Worried that Howe rates Wood and one or both of Almiron and Murphy and doesn't see it as a major concern. 

Just imagine all of the scouts and recruitment staff sitting there with the manager and the owners with all their hands on their heads dumbfounded about what to do next, now we missed out on one player ;D

8 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Such is the panic at be happy over paying for a player I don't want us to sign at this point.

Are you actually really panicking that much? :lol:

9 minutes ago, STM said:

The owners have been very consistent in their ability not to rush a single decision. They were slow on sacking Bruce, slow on appointing Howe, slow on appointing a CEO, refused to be bent over a barrel on Ashworth and they weren't exactly speedy gonzales when signing players in January.

However, there decisions have been excellent so far and will be during this transfer window.

Exactly. The one time they were rushed was due to Wilson's injury, and we ended up with Chris Wood for £25 million ... so comfortable with them taking their time!

It’s interesting watching the likes of Scamacca go elsewhere at a reasonable price. The athletic earlier in the summer said he was one of our top targets and he’s definitely within our budget. Suggests they have something else lined up which is pretty exciting.

:lol: People all out of their element, not knowing what to do when we're not in the old pattern of monitoring, derisory bids, "it's hard to get strikers", "we're expecting one or two more", all hopes pinned on one player, everything falls apart, "couldn't get it over the line", loan for rando washed up player. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s interesting watching the likes of Scamacca go elsewhere at a reasonable price. The athletic earlier in the summer said he was one of our top targets and he’s definitely within our budget. Suggests they have something else lined up which is pretty exciting.

Or else the scouting committee have decided his off field connections and potential drama isn’t worth pursuing over his on field talent? 

Just now, Manxst said:

Or else the scouting committee have decided his off field connections and potential drama isn’t worth pursuing over his on field talent? 

If he was a top target at the start of the summer, I’d assume we would have already done our homework on him?

30 minutes ago, snakzz said:

How can they rate Harrison and not Scamacca?

They're two entirely different types of players.

And Scamacca represents more of a risk than Harrison. Sure, it goes well and £30m seems like a snip, but they'd be signing him off the back of one decent Serie A season. This isn't 90's Serie A either, where 15 goals in a season converted to 20+ in other leagues. Goals are much easier to come by in Serie A these days.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

If he was a top target at the start of the summer, I’d assume we would have already done our homework on him?

Maybe? Who knows? Maybe more info came to light? Maybe we had second thoughts about him and his family and just changed our minds?

Just now, Manxst said:

Maybe? Who knows? Maybe more info came to light? Maybe we had second thoughts about him and his family and just changed our minds?

Potentially, obviously something must have happened because at the price quoted you would assume we would be in for him 

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Or maybe Scamacca has already told us he doesn’t want to move to us

15 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think you're out of the loop mate. Read back a few pages and you'll see reports of unrest on the streets of Tyneside. There's tension in the town square which could erupt at any time. But for now it's simmering under the surface. :(

Guest HTT II

At some point we are going to have to pay over the odds for a player in order to get our main transfer target rather than one or two down the list. Diaby for example, if our scouts and data analysis believe he could be transformative for us and not only become a major player for us but in the game in general, they have to believe in that enough to think pushing the boat out will pay dividends regardless and thus just pay what it takes.

Of course we don’t want to be ripped off, and it will take convincing some players where wages will matter the most, but I’d rather we overspent on Diaby than say Harrison, although I’d be happy with the latter even if we overspent on him because he’d improve the team and eventually if we replaced him with someone better, he’d improve the squad as a squad player given us further strength in depth.

I also get we have one aye on FFP rules, but if we blew our load early on top players, meaning we have less to spend later on, we’d get to the levels we want to get to quicker and I’d rather we did that because we would then only need to add incrementally to the squad to keep sustaining and improving transfer window after transfer window.

On that note I’d be disappointed with a 10th place finish next season, especially given we finished 11th last season. Yes we have to be mindful of the 14 years under Ashley prior to the takeover, but I’d rather forget that and look forwards and remember where we NOW are which is a wealthy club, an ambitious one, totally professional on and off the pitch now and with a very good young manager. That and football is mostly about momentum and we are on a high right now after our strong finish to the season and shouldn’t be looking at mid-table, but the top 6 and European football which would directly also accelerate our commercial revenues and bring in extra money to combat FFP.

I do trust, however, the people in charge will do the right things and I won’t be panicking and I do believe we will spend more than we did in January. I also reckon the club are very self conscious of keeping on the good side of the PL and not going all out just yet until we have the right and correct people in at the club so should the PL and other clubs kick off, we will have top people who will know how to basically tell them all to suck it up and do one.

We’ve hired an excellent DOF and a seemingly top CEO on that front and we are also looking at hiring people in the legal departments. 

Edited by HTT II

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Or do we?😂

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I also get we have one aye on FFP rules, but if we blew our load early on top players, meaning we have less to spend later on, we’d get to the levels we want to get to quicker and I’d rather we did that because we would then only need to add incrementally to the squad to keep sustaining and improving transfer window after transfer window.

The problem/scary thing with this part is, I imagine that's exactly what Everton told themselves while they were spunking cash on big names. It assumes every 'top player' you sign is going to hit. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, sushimonster85 said:

The problem/scary thing with this part is, I imagine that's exactly what Everton told themselves while they were spunking cash on big names. It assumes every 'top player' you sign is going to hit. 

They spent a shit load, but there was no foundations behind their signings in terms of playing strategy and they went through a lot of managers. We now have a system behind the scenes they didn’t and still don’t where we can spend big money, and get it mostly right. Not every player will succeed, but I’d back Howe to get the most out of any player we sign, from a Wood or a Diaby.