Dan Burn

Rich

19 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

32 when his contract is up next summer, I'm sure there's been talk of a contract extension? I really hope not. Harsh on him probably but I don't see him bring anything to the table by then.

Wouldn’t he offer something as a back up centre back where he was OK when he first joined if I recall correctly.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would we not want to be a more established top 6 team by then? Is a 33 year old Dan Burn going to offer anything? I'd sooner sign a 19-20 year old with potential that we can develop and push for a starting position.

You’re taking about a timescale of 12 months. If we sign a first choice CB this summer that would push Schar to third and Burn to fourth choice where he’d be fine for emergency cover and the odd cup game against weaker opponents , selling on Lascelles. The young CB could come in the 24-25 season to replace Burn, repeating the same with Schar the following season. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

32 when his contract is up next summer, I'm sure there's been talk of a contract extension? I really hope not. Harsh on him probably but I don't see him bring anything to the table by then.

Imagine he’ll get a one year extension similar to what Dummett got this year. Basically hanging around in case of an absolute emergency at LB or CB.

11 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Imagine he’ll get a one year extension similar to what Dummett got this year. Basically hanging around in case of an absolute emergency at LB or CB.

I think he still has a massive role to play. Solid starting or back up CB and can fill in at left back but no way should he be starting left back moving forwards. 

39 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would we not want to be a more established top 6 team by then? Is a 33 year old Dan Burn going to offer anything? I'd sooner sign a 19-20 year old with potential that we can develop and push for a starting position.

Anyone 19-20 years old with potential need to be out on loan. Need to learn from our mistakes with Elliot. 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think he still has a massive role to play. Solid starting or back up CB and can fill in at left back but no way should he be starting left back moving forwards. 

Let us not forget him playing LB is one of the reasons we had kept so many clean sheets.  Yes we've leaked in goals of late but to put them in context they were against good opposition and are couple you could say we were just unlucky. I think it is harsh to blame Dan for these.  I agree it does take away from our attacking threat so my opinion is we probably need to mixed it up a bit with Targett depending on the opposition. I still think Dan has a role to play there. 

30 minutes ago, duo said:

Let us not forget him playing LB is one of the reasons we had kept so many clean sheets.  Yes we've leaked in goals of late but to put them in context they were against good opposition and are couple you could say we were just unlucky. I think it is harsh to blame Dan for these.  I agree it does take away from our attacking threat so my opinion is we probably need to mixed it up a bit with Targett depending on the opposition. I still think Dan has a role to play there. 

I agree with all of that and I’m certainly not blaming him for all our defensive frailties. Moving forwards for our overrall play we need a better left back or more “purer” left back. 

I think he needs a rest, but also I think he's getting a bit of unfair criticism around the lack of support he gives our left sided midfielder/forward.

That's not the role, he holds a fair bit to make a third centre back (wide left) so Tripps can bomb forward.  One of our Centre mids, usually Joel or Joe Willock provides support for the left side. That's not to say he doesn't get up the line, just not the same as on the right, he has less freedom to do so.

That's the bit that needs tweaking, bringing Targett in will gives us more balance atttacking wise, but that does mean more exposure for our CB's, where a proper holding player would be better. 

That's part of the game I love, tweaks and subtle changes to a system to affect a game. Hopefully we see that from Eddie, because if I have a slight criticism of Eddie, it's that reluctance to tweak the system that sometimes hurts us, but overall I'm still loving where we are.

Edited by Bimpy474

One of the factors ashworth was talking about was lowering the average squad age. He's done a job but I think we should move him on when his contract is done. If he's slow now imagine in 18 months 

He's a huge character in the dressing room. I'm more than happy with him as second choice to Botman.

32 isn't what it used to be either. He's still got 4 years in him.

Through time he will phased out but we are still a couple of seasons away from him being expendable.

Danger with Burn is similar to players like Almiron, Longstaff, Wilson, etc. No-one can deny the exceptional job they've done in getting us to where we are. But longer term we need upgrades and the longer they stay in the team the more these players will start to grate through really no fault of their own. 

I do find the Burn/Targett thing odd though. Apart from let ASM run with the ball a bit we don't have any movement on our left so it seems such an obvious change to make. 

The thing with Burn is that folk got carried away when he was in good form. He's a solid centre back with great leadership qualities, but is prone to lapses in concentration. At left back he offers comfort on the ball, but his lack of pace and quality in the final third is exposed.

More than happy for him to remain as back up to Botman, but Targett should come in at left back once he's fully up to speed.

One of the things I've loved since the take over is that the players still feel grounded and the atmosphere amongst them feels like they really appreciate the fans and what it means to the supporters.

I think even though Burn will be replaced as a starter in the not too distant future, keeping him around the squad will continue to help keep this feeling amongst them, players like him will be essential in explaining what it means to play for this club and the history of it. He's the player that any fan could relate to, worked hard and taken the long way to finally represent the club he loves, it'll be a sad day when he finally hangs up his boots.

He's been getting a lot of stick lately, but thought he was class today, dealt with everything Traore and Neto did, and atleast in the first half was breaking forward and helping out in attack.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

He's been getting a lot of stick lately, but thought he was class today, dealt with everything Traore and Neto did, and atleast in the first half was breaking forward and helping out in attack.

His defensive play is good but when he receives the ball his first touch is poor giving the opposition time to close him down. Happened a few times and on one occasion he bailed himself out by passing to ASM who was surrounded and couldn’t fend the wolves players off and there was a counter.

Edited by SAK
Spelling