Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

26 minutes ago, Smal said:

Why not sign him and Lodi? Rotate between the two based on the situation of each game. Have a squad. Try and win a fucking cup :lol: 

Unfortunately we aren’t in a position to spend 60m + on left backs :lol:

Dummett has been given an extra year as a kind of stop gap emergency 3rd choice left back/left centre back imo. Him being able to play two positions means he has merit as a squad member.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Unfortunately we aren’t in a position to spend 60m + on left backs :lol:

Are you saying Lodi is going to cost £45m+?

Targett has a £15m clause in the loan doesn’t he?

Another win where he’s a key part in the winner as well mind for those saying he might lack something going forward. Think his attacking play is very under-rated by a lot of people. I’d love it if we signed him.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

21 minutes ago, Smal said:

Why not sign him and Lodi? Rotate between the two based on the situation of each game. Have a squad. Try and win a fucking cup :lol: 

I love the idea in theory but you'd figure someone like Lodi wouldn't come to share starting duties and Targett wanted out of Villa because he wants to start games.

If we sign him permanently I think it has to be with the intention of being first choice for at least one year, maybe two, otherwise we're thanking him for his tremendous contribution this season by locking him in to a contract in the exact situation he's currently trying to leave. If Howe can't guarantee that based on what he wants out of his full back long-term I'd rather we do the decent thing, are honest about that and just thank him for this half a season and good luck wherever he heads on to.

Ultimately, if we sign Targett next season as our first choice left back I'd have no reservations whatsoever; while not exactly explosive I actually think he's underrated as far as what he offers going forward. Equally, knowing the style of football Howe wants long-term, I will completely understand if he pursues another option.

3 hours ago, number37 said:

Even though Willock did absolutely amazingly well, in my brain I'll always give the assist for Bruno's second goal against Leicester to this guy. Seven times out of ten, Dummett's conceding a penalty in a similar situation. 

Yeah that was a stunning piece of play. So calm. 

1 hour ago, Smal said:

We now know that Bruno wants them both at the club. Nothing wrong with having two players per position but Lodi could play left midfield with Targett or as a wing back.

I think the club would like both players but are unsure if we can afford both given the needs elsewhere.

Sounds a bit of a daft observation but even his throw ins are good and inventive. It's not just throw it down the line to the big man which we've become used to

Although I imagine the coaching set up have elped with our set pieces too

It said £15m minus the £2m loan fee - presumably £13m then.

Which, for an experienced PL defender is very decent. Sounds like he wants to be here too.

Mind, I'd mainly like to sign him so that Agbonlahor implodes in disbelief, whilst struggling to put a sentence together.

Get it done. Man is a 7/10 every single god damn game. The most consistent player I've seen in a long long while and a class act as well!

“I’ve loved every single minute of my time here. It’s been an incredible place to play my football. I’ve loved every second of it.” 

"But it's a very exciting project, and if I'm here next season then brilliant, but if I'm not then I'll be looking from afar and hoping the club does well. No matter what happens, if I'm here next season or not, I'll always look back on my time at Newcastle as very successful having helped keep this great club in the Premier League.”