Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

26 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Ratface has completely lost his head, sharing a video of himself diving (via a dodgy stream) to criticise the refereeing decisions.

Surprised he’s not been told to take it down, for various reasons.

Tbf that could've been given as a pen. 

I was amazed how every pundit considered that a 100% nailed on penalty. It would have been very soft and you definitely don't get those at Anfield (especially when you've established yourself as one of the worst divers in the league in your very short career).

It could, but the ref didn't give it and it was debatable enough not to be a clear & obvious error for VAR to overturn it. The different opinions on here suggest that.

If it had been given, I wouldn't expect VAR to overturn that decision either.

It's one of those that falls into judgement territory so it is hardly some howling injustice.

For what it's worth, I didn't think it was a pen. Didn't think it was a clear enough foul and that fingermouse was play-acting. Had it been given I'd have thought it a bit soft, but would probably have shrugged and thought 'yeah, fine'.

His reputation as a horrible diving rat probably played some part in the decision. 

If you try and cheat as much as he does it's hard to complain when borderline calls go against you. 

4 hours ago, Abacus said:

It could, but the ref didn't give it and it was debatable enough not to be a clear & obvious error for VAR to overturn it. The different opinions on here suggest that.

It's one of those that falls into judgement territory so it is hardly some howling injustice.

For what it's worth, I didn't think it was a pen. Didn't think it was a clear enough foul and that fingermouse was play-acting. Had it been given I'd have thought it a bit soft, but would probably have shrugged and thought 'yeah, fine'.

Falls easily into the category of pens that are given to the top 6 (particularly at home) and aren’t obvious enough to be overturned but aren’t given against top 6 teams at home and by the same token aren’t obvious enough to be overturned.

Salah gets that all day at the other end in front of The Kop.

5 hours ago, Abacus said:

There are virtually no penalty decisions that fans don't debate, so for pens, clear and obvious is always a subjective thing. 

If that took place in the centre circle, there'd be no debate. Even Carragher admitted that in commentary. Once it's in the penalty area, people seem to apply different criteria to what is and isn't a foul.

If that's Salah at the other end, I'm confident it'd be given immediately by the on-field ref and if it isn't, I couldn't possibly see VAR turning a blind eye to that. Not with the slow motion replays and all the angles. Klopp would go ballistic and pile pressure on the officials and they go into these games knowing that there'll be a lot of heat if a decision like this derails their title bid. Far less heat if Everton are the victim. It's the way things are and always have been.

Edited by ohmelads

10 hours ago, ilikenewcastle said:

I was amazed how every pundit considered that a 100% nailed on penalty. It would have been very soft and you definitely don't get those at Anfield (especially when you've established yourself as one of the worst divers in the league in your very short career).

Personally I wouldn't have given a pen. But it's not a joke pen either if it's given.

11 hours ago, Abacus said:

That's fair.

11 hours ago, Jaqen said:

His reputation as a horrible diving rat probably played some part in the decision. 

If you try and cheat as much as he does it's hard to complain when borderline calls go against you. 

My thoughts exactly. Made a rod for his own back with all these theatrical dives. Ref could easily have thought the way he dived in the first half could be trying it on again. Serves him right for continually going over like a bloody tart 

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m really not seeing this “fight” people are talking about. A few dives and wasting time, a few fouls, and playing an insanely rigid formation while having none of the ball? Being snide = fight? 

As soon as Liverpool scored they completely turned it in, and really as soon as Liverpool stepped up the pace they were out of the game. Those stats are borderline disgraceful.

It's because Lampards the manager.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m really not seeing this “fight” people are talking about. A few dives and wasting time, a few fouls, and playing an insanely rigid formation while having none of the ball? Being snide = fight? 

As soon as Liverpool scored they completely turned it in, and really as soon as Liverpool stepped up the pace they were out of the game. Those stats are borderline disgraceful.

They play like that the rest of the season and they are gone.

43 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yup. It’s PFM stuff where kicking someone = fight, character and a good performance.

I think their performance was shocking yesterday. If they weren’t intent on diving and making a farce of it, they could have actually got something from the game.

Liverpool were so vulnerable defensively, but Everton had no interest in challenging that. 

Liverpool/Klopp knew they’d just have to bide their time, wait 60 minutes and then bring on fresh attacking players and they’d get through them. 

2 hours ago, ManDoon said:

This was my impression as well. Don't think they will get the results they need if they set up and play the same way they did against Liverpool against lesser teams. If they want a recipe on how to stay up they and their fans should rather look at their game against us and Man Utd for their home games against Brentford and Palace. The atmosphere in the stadium must have been awful for us and Man Utd to play in, while inspiring the Everton team to put in those extra few percent of effort to grind out a result.

5 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

My thoughts exactly. Made a rod for his own back with all these theatrical dives. Ref could easily have thought the way he dived in the first half could be trying it on again. Serves him right for continually going over like a bloody tart 

He’s one of the first young English players to be from the school of Italy.

1 hour ago, ennyoueffsea said:

Everton to ask why Matip challenge on Gordon was not given as penalty in Merseyside derby https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61213710

May as well give them a direct line to PGMOL. 🤔

Didn’t Lampard get a letter and a phone call from them earlier in the season as well?

Yet it seems we were totally ignored / fobbed off for the ridiculous Chelsea decisions just a few months ago.