Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal (18/05/2022)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Think the mantra that Arsenal have bottled top four is really weird considering they were never clear of 5th and weren’t ever considered a proper contender pre-season.

They’ve done well, I thought.

Yeah, they've had a good season that's probably surpassed initial expectations. The disappointment probably comes from the fact they had CL qualification in their hands and couldn't see it through.

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Think the mantra that Arsenal have bottled top four is really weird considering they were never clear of 5th and weren’t ever considered a proper contender pre-season.

I get what you're saying but at one point they were 4th, equal on points with 5th, with a better goal difference and 3 games in hand. Bottling it is too strong probably, but I think it's fair to say it was their's to lose. Still a good season for them, but also a missed opportunity to do even better.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Thats the medias problem....6 into 4 doesn't go and any of the Big 6 that don't get there are going to be considered failures.

Expectations as well....we're just not allowed to have them beyond being safe of relegation.

Never mind it'll be 7 into 6/5 in a few seasons ;-)

They looked like they were going to do it quite comfortably with the fixtures they had left until that Monday night game against Palace when they were absolutely diabolical and got thumped.

Best performance of the season. Apart from a loose ball in our box I don't remember Arsenal troubling us in our third. First half we pummelled them and overall we should've scored more. Must be a while since we've had more possession against one of the "big 6" over 90 minutes.

Brilliant day and I'm hanging once again. Fuck sake.

Excellent performance and result, really.

Couple of things that have probably been mentioned, 2nd half Arsenal had a chance and 3 newcastle players threw themselves at the ball and blocked the effort. Shows the commitment and will to win or at the least try to preserve the clean sheet that we have now.

But also noticed when Trippier was warming up 2nd half, Arsenal had a flurry of 2 or 3 corners and Trippier clearly stood in line with the box, but marshalling and organising from the touchline. Just brilliant. Not even on the pitch, but being an influence. Give him the armband next season.

Edited by TK-421

40 minutes ago, Smal said:

Yeah, Arsenal have done fine really. Allcott did a decent analysis of both sides last night

Was just about to post this, honestly head and shoulder above anything else on YouTube as far as analysis goes.

His take on how Eddie has turned it around (in a different video) has been replicated by 10+ other channels using the same info.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

56 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I get what you're saying but at one point they were 4th, equal on points with 5th, with a better goal difference and 3 games in hand. Bottling it is too strong probably, but I think it's fair to say it was their's to lose. Still a good season for them, but also a missed opportunity to do even better.

This is it. I hate the “bottled it” trope in general, but the reason it’s being trotted out here is nothing to do with pre-season expectations and everything to do with the last few weeks.

The funny thing is that the benefit of hindsight makes their performance look worse. Perhaps expectations should have been higher. They spent oodles of cash, didn’t have to worry about Europe at all and their manager had a couple of years to bed in. Of the seven teams that finished above them last year, Man U imploded from the top down, Leicester and West Ham were clearly held back by playing in Europe and Spurs sacked their manager in October. If they don’t make the CL it’s clearly a missed opportunity.

Look at the BBC predictions:

https://www.givemesport.com/1737506-man-city-man-utd-liverpool-chelsea-who-will-make-the-premier-league-top-four-in-2122

Not a single pundit predicted Spurs or Arsenal in the top 4 - out of 20. Then look at those fan videos from last night. It’s not just the media calling them “bottlers”.

Arsenal don't really look or play like a top 4 side tbh, they look like a bunch of talented youngsters doing reasonably well. I know they've spent plenty of money, but their biggest stars, Aubemyang and Lacazette aren't even playing. When they played Spurs last week, did anyone really fancy them?