General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I do feel many of the papers are predicting between 7th to 9th for us. Seems overly optimistic. Mostly based on last seasons second half showing - but that was unsustainable as it was very close games and the pressured siege mentality that contributed. The team hasn't strengthened enough compared to the other teams near us as they already had huge head starts, eg West Ham, Leicester, etc. 

If those 2-3 signings are brought in, I would definitely agree 7th to 9th is doable - right now it seems a stretch as it's a long season and we do seem light in areas. 

5 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I do feel many of the papers are predicting between 7th to 9th for us. Seems overly optimistic. Mostly based on last seasons second half showing - but that was unsustainable as it was very close games and the pressured siege mentality that contributed. The team hasn't strengthened enough compared to the other teams near us as they already had huge head starts, eg West Ham, Leicester, etc. 

If those 2-3 signings are brought in, I would definitely agree 7th to 9th is doable - right now it seems a stretch as it's a long season and we do seem light in areas. 

Played most of those games with a dead tree up front though.

24 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

We accrued 12 more points than West Ham and Leicester in the last 19 games (they both managed 27 points). That is huge and surely can’t just be siege mentality. It’s not like our last few games had a better return; it is a whole half season. 

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

With injuries, fixture congestion leading to resting players etc. it’s not inconceivable that we could field a midfield and forward line of: 

St- Wood

Rw- Murphy

Lw- Fraser

cm- Willock

cm- Longstaff

cm- Shelvey

:lol: . On paper our squad doesn’t feel like one that’ll be in contention for European places. With Howe, our first-team and the general feeling around the club these days you never know though. I’d predict 10-12th.

Tenuous side note: I feel people are sleeping on Crystal Palace this season. Think they’ll do a lot better than people expect.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Feel like Southampton might be dark horses for the magical, famous and historically coveted EPL numero 7. They've been forward thinking in the transfer market this window and have hung onto JWP. If they don't sign an effective attacker they'll probably still be distanced from the Conference League scrap, but if they do, they might have a good season. 

That's a huge shout like, I think they're going to be in a relegation battle.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

With injuries, fixture congestion leading to resting players etc. it’s not inconceivable that we could field a midfield and forward line of: 

St- Wood

Rw- Murphy

Lw- Fraser

cm- Willock

cm- Longstaff

cm- Shelvey

:lol: . On paper our squad doesn’t feel like one that’ll be in contention for European places. With Howe, our first-team and the general feeling around the club these days you never know though. I’d predict 10-12th.

Tenuous side note: I feel people are sleeping on Crystal Palace this season. Think they’ll do a lot better than people expect.

Yeah the Athletic mentioned Palace a lot, and have been bigging up their signing of Cheick Doucure on a par with the likes of Bruno Guimaraes in terms of impact. 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

That top ten is pretty much how I’d have it.

4th and 8th being the most contested places, with three teams each that could easily finish there.

70C86CBF-9666-4012-9AC8-EB4CD14680AA.jpeg

Looks about right except swap Arsenal with Chelsea and Soton with Brentford.

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

Just watched the latest episode of The Overlap on YT. Same stuff as usual generally but I thought Kendall Rowan did a decent job "representing" Newcastle and spoke fairly well and without any daft hype or twitter-style moaning.

I agree though I thought she missed a chance when asked by JC now that last season has gone are the club realising how hard it is to sign players and improve etc to get to next level by not saying it hasn’t helped all the other clubs getting together and changing rules on various things to make it harder 🙂

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

I agree though I thought she missed a chance when asked by JC now that last season has gone are the club realising how hard it is to sign players and improve etc to get to next level by not saying it hasn’t helped all the other clubs getting together and changing rules on various things to make it harder 🙂

Fair point in hindsight but a tricky thing to get into "off the cuff" and whether she thought of it at the time or after (as humans often do), probably selected to keep it light and respectful. Not the easiest forum to get too in-depth as they spend so much time on the top 4 or 5 teams and the others only get a 2 minute segment. Hopefully that will change as we grow but I thought she spoke clearly and smartly.

1 Martin Dúbravka
2 Kieran Trippier
3 Paul Dummett
4 Sven Botman
5 Fabian Schär
6 Jamaal Lascelles
7 Joelinton
8 Jonjo Shelvey
9 Callum Wilson
10 Allan Saint-Maximin
11 Matt Ritchie
12 Jamal Lewis