Our Shithousery

The Prophet

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

Pope got booked for it they said on sky 

Good.

I guess a yellow is only really effective if you're prepared to issue a second one. I can't wait for the fuss when that first happens.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

I'm fine with the kicker stuttering their run. As far as I know, it's not against the laws and I would see it as part of the taker's range of possible skills. I think it's only when the taker actually stops completely that the law is infringed?

I just think putting the kicker off is getting out of hand. It all seems to have taken off after Krul successfully put a couple of opponents off during a penalty shoot out during the 2018 World Cup. And the trouble it seems to work. Issue a yellow, and then a red if necessary. That would stop it. At the moment, refs seem powerless.

Been going on for as long as I can remember to some degree. Google Grobelaar spaghetti legs for example. All part of the penalty psychology for me. Don't see why anyone should be told where they can or can't stand while the penalty is being prepared, but if the keeper is still standing after the ref has told him to move back to his line then aye, a yellow card is clearly appropriate then.

Same topic but slightly different- saw an interesting video last year about Chelsea and Liverpool countering the defending team's attempts to put the taker off by having one player grab the ball and pretend he is taking it, takes all the verbal, then someone else actually takes it. Clever.

Putting my pedant hat on I think Krul was 2014 wasn't it?

I just don’t see how any of this stuff detracts from the entertainment of the game. The psychological battle and the mind games between the keeper and penalty taker just adds another layer to them and amplifies the drama.

I think Ramsdale looks like a total whopper doing his Party Boy dance on set pieces but I’ve got no real interest in arguing that he should be stopped from doing it, or that it ruins the spirit of the game or out.

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Been going on for as long as I can remember to some degree. Google Grobelaar spaghetti legs for example. All part of the penalty psychology for me. Don't see why anyone should be told where they can or can't stand while the penalty is being prepared, but if the keeper is still standing after the ref has told him to move back to his line then aye, a yellow card is clearly appropriate then.

Same topic but slightly different- saw an interesting video last year about Chelsea and Liverpool countering the defending team's attempts to put the taker off by having one player grab the ball and pretend he is taking it, takes all the verbal, then someone else actually takes it. Clever.

That's what Fulham did yesterday, as I'm sure Reid had the ball and then he gave it to Mitro

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

I'm fine with the kicker stuttering their run. As far as I know, it's not against the laws and I would see it as part of the taker's range of possible skills. I think it's only when the taker actually stops completely that the law is infringed?

I just think putting the kicker off is getting out of hand. It all seems to have taken off after Krul successfully put a couple of opponents off during a penalty shoot out during the 2018 World Cup. And the trouble it seems to work. Issue a yellow, and then a red if necessary. That would stop it. At the moment, refs seem powerless.

Don't understand that, like (those highlighted). So its ok for a kicker to stutter on his run up, in the hope the keeper dives early one way so he can put it to the other (empty) side. Yet a keeper trying to play mind game against the kicker is bad craic?

A penalty has turned into a bit of a mind game, so if one is ok to try and gain an advanatge (the kicker) why not the keeper?

:icon_scratch:

Edited by TK-421

Keepers messing with penalty takers makes them far more interesting.  Not like there's any 'honour' or anything in any other part of the game, don't get why they should be any different.

Scuffing up the spot isn't mind games or messing with people and too far though imo.

Edited by Eveready

4 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I actually saw a video on TikTok the day before our match where Villa were doing the same thing recently, Ashley Young taking the mental and verbal mind games before Danny Ings took spotkick and scored.

2 hours ago, TK-421 said:

Don't understand that, like (those highlighted). So its ok for a kicker to stutter on his run up, in the hope the keeper dives early one way so he can put it to the other (empty) side. Yet a keeper trying to play mind game against the kicker is bad craic?

A penalty has turned into a bit of a mind game, so if one is ok to try and gain an advanatge (the kicker) why not the keeper?

As far as I’m aware the penalty taker can slow down as long as they don’t stop and the keeper can do basically anything as long as they don’t move forward of the goal line (I know!).

The other incidents have happened for a while so until they’re expressly forbidden then :whistle:

Edited by Thomson Mouse

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

As far as I’m aware the penalty taker can slow down as long as they don’t stop and the keeper can do basically anything as long as they don’t move forward of the goal line (I know!).

The other incidents have happened for a while so until they’re expressly forbidden then :shrug: 

First I remember of the 'stuttering' was when John Aldridge started doing it after he'd played for Real Sociedad, and it definitely looks more like a stop than a slowing of his run. He probably learned and started doing it after his penalty miss in the Cup Final.

2 hours ago, TK-421 said:

100% agree with you and I made the same point when Martinez was getting pelters in the World Cup final. "Oh no, he threw the ball away and I had to go and get it!"

I think some of the stuttering that is allowed is too close to just feigning a kick before putting it the other way.

6 hours ago, TK-421 said:

I would see that breaking up the rhythm of the run up is just a way of making it difficult for the keeper to time his dive, by making it difficult to anticipate when or how the taker is going to kick the ball. Bit like shooting towards one corner of the goal while looking at another, or swerving the body to make it look you're going to pass an opponent on one side, and then going the other. It's an extension of the skills, feints and tricks on the ball which are a normal part of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the mind games, I don't expect professional sportsmen to be saints, but it can go too far. Referees have to have some sanction. It also shows disrespect for your opponent. At the end of the day, it is a game that we're playing and it's unhealthy if we completely lose sight of that. What goes on in the professional game filters down, and children and young people need to be shown good manners and - to coin the old phrase - good sportsmanship. 

Edited by Cronky