Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

44 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Back in 2010 or something like that, Man City were playing Sporting in the Europa League and were beaten at home in the knockout round. Year later they were winning cups and stuff. That’s how this game felt for me. 

Took Man City 3 years from the takeover for the first trophy since the 60's didn't it? And that's when they could spend what they wanted. 

Once they did the flood gates opened. 

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

Absolutely this, not a peep from them for months and as soon as they think they're "back" nothing but goading and arseholery, all Billy big balls and I know a few. 

They think people are hating on them because they're doing well again, we're not, it's the air of entitlement and the smug "banter" that makes them detestable.

It'll be an interesting next 3 or 4 years. Personally I don't think them or Liverpool are as strong as some make out. 

Rashford has been on absolute fire for Man Utd but take him out and its down to Cart Carthorse to get the goals. 

They need a proper goal scorer like Liverpool need a new midfield. 

Ten Hag has done well no doubt but it just doesn't feel like Man Utd are going to be able to dominate in every competition. They are winning games but they still oddly seem very beatable. 

Funny seeing people I know from school and younger days on social media who I didn't even know liked football, post and share pictures of Ten Hag and Fergie with the cup etc. Must have been so hard for them for the past 6 years! 

The glory hunters are definitely back at least. 

Edited by Scotty66

33 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

It'll be an interesting next 3 or 4 years. Personally I don't think them or Liverpool are as strong as some make out. 

Rashford has been on absolute fire for Man Utd but take him out and its down to Cart Carthorse to get the goals. 

They need a proper goal scorer like Liverpool need a new midfield. 

Ten Hag has done well no doubt but it just doesn't feel like Man Utd are going to be able to dominate in every competition. They are winning games but they still oddly seem very beatable. 

Funny seeing people I know from school and younger days on social media who I didn't even know liked football, post and share pictures of Ten Hag and Fergie with the cup etc. Must have been so hard for them for the past 6 years! 

The glory hunters are definitely back at least. 

This, this is what I was trying to get at earlier.

I do not see them competing. They are multiple players off from competing for the title. Their best player is in his 30’s and there will be question marks over how long he will be able to perform to the same standard week in week out.

Rashford is in the form of his life, but he’s not going to have another season as good as this one and they are relying on him too much.

In the next few years they will either have the Galziers who will probably not do things good enough to compete, or they will be taken over which will result in them being a burden to leverage. You think the payments for their £600m takeover is a lot, let’s see how a £5bn takeover cripples them. On top of this Old Trafford is going to need to be rebuilt. To get it on the level of Spur’s stadium, where they will want it to be, will cost £1bn-£2bn.

They haven’t looked special so far. Some people say they look solid, but I’m not sure. They certainly feel like what they did under Mourinho, will be hard to beat at times, are never going to compete for the title, but will be a shout for the cups.

So far this season Man City, Spurs, Liverpool, and Chelsea have been poor by their standards. They are still behind Man City, they are not that far ahead of Spurs, and ok they are way ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea, but both clubs will come back. On top of this you would also expect us to emerge as competition in the coming years.

I don’t see them competing for the title anytime soon, they have too much catching up to do, and will be held back soon enough in what they can build squad wise.

I’d go as far as saying that they won’t win a title in the next 10-15 years.

Edited by Stifler

Personally think Man Utd are in a really good spot.

They are a Harry Kane away from being challengers.

Their big issue comes from losing Casemiro or Varane to injury but they have the finance to buy 3 or so quality players to compete in the squad.

De Gea

Varane

Martinez

Shaw

Casemiro

Eriksen

Fernandes

Rashford

Are league winning quality. That's 8 players. Man City usual have around 14 plus a few decent ones. So they are 6 players short. But Sancho and Anthony could find consistent form and be considered a 9th or 10th. IMO they are around 2 seasons away from winning the league, provided they get their recruitment right.

You'd have to ask @Froggyhow close this asessment is though.

15 minutes ago, STM said:

Sadly I think this is right about the Trafford rags. They've got the manager many at MCFC wanted to replace Pep when he goes. They will go after Harry "I want trophies" Kane in the summer. I wish you would get Kane but Levy at Spurs won't sell him to Newcastle for the same reason he wouldn't sell him to City, he doesn't like - er, the clothes the owners wear.  And the media wankathon about them is already under way.  With that and the wobbly lines they draw on their VAR machines at Old Trafford they will be challengers next season. Excuse me while I go and be sick. 

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

This, this is what I was trying to get at earlier.

I do not see them competing. They are multiple players off from competing for the title. Their best player is in his 30’s and there will be question marks over how long he will be able to perform to the same standard week in week out.

Rashford is in the form of his life, but he’s not going to have another season as good as this one and they are relying on him too much.

In the next few years they will either have the Galziers who will probably not do things good enough to compete, or they will be taken over which will result in them being a burden to leverage. You think the payments for their £600m takeover is a lot, let’s see how a £5bn takeover cripples them. On top of this Old Trafford is going to need to be rebuilt. To get it on the level of Spur’s stadium, where they will want it to be, will cost £1bn-£2bn.

They haven’t looked special so far. Some people say they look solid, but I’m not sure. They certainly feel like what they did under Mourinho, will be hard to beat at times, are never going to compete for the title, but will be a shout for the cups.

So far this season Man City, Spurs, Liverpool, and Chelsea have been poor by their standards. They are still behind Man City, they are not that far ahead of Spurs, and ok they are way ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea, but both clubs will come back. On top of this you would also expect us to emerge as competition in the coming years.

I don’t see them competing for the title anytime soon, they have too much catching up to do, and will be held back soon enough in what they can build squad wise.

I’d go as far as saying that they won’t win a title in the next 10-15 years.

Have you missed the bit where their next owners are very likely to be the Qataris?

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

This is a terrible take.

No irony intended but we can't fucking win. We're either pilloried for wanting Champions' League nights again and similar 'ideas above our station' or slated for being grateful for not flirting with relegation and, heaven forbid, losing a cup final.

3 hours ago, Rafalove said:

This is a terrible take.

The master of terrible takes.  The man just moans for a living.  It’s that weird thing where grown adults think that their attitude towards an event can influence the result despite having zero contact with the people involved.  Just say we hated the weekend and everyone there had a shit time - how would that impact that result or any future ones?

Bizarre egocentrism - it’s the flip side of those who believe that singing or atmosphere makes a difference.  It doesn’t make any difference to the result; it makes a difference to the spectacle. 

4 hours ago, Rafalove said:

This is a terrible take.

The things don’t go your way then sulk  school of thought. Fab way to live your life. As if fans ‘having the lip on’ is going to make the slightest bit of difference, beyond contributing towards themselves, and everyone else they know, having a more miserable life. 

54 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

This Keith/Whitley Mag or someone else?

Nah, the fanzine brigade are the worst of the lot.  It’s usually rampant narcissism on show - they tie events in which they’re spectators and actively try to frame their lives around it (with little actual irony applied).  The Nick Hornby wannabes - ‘XXX club ruined my life’.   People who use a form of entertainment to explain why they’re so fucking miserable all the time.

I don’t like watching NUFC lose finals either.  But there’s fuck all I can do about it, you can only hope that at some point a manager and team we have at the club manages it.  Me twisting my arse about it won’t make any difference - somehow Mick Martin thinks that if our collective attitude is more critical, we’ll be rewarded with more trophies.  It’s fucking delusional. 

5 hours ago, Rafalove said:

This is a terrible take.

To say the club has “failed” is an insult to players, staff and the owners.

Never liked the bloke since he tried to tell me that Nicky Butt was in our top 5 CM of all time. He can fuck right off. 

There's definitely some degree of truth in the old 'show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser' thing.. but I don't think it extends as far as the fans like :lol: and I'm reasonably certain that Howe and the owners and the players aren't just patting each other on the the back and telling each other that it's the taking part that counts :lol:

15 hours ago, Minhosa said:

It'll be interesting whether we're 'allowed' to by the footballing gods who are seemingly hell bent on tilting the table towards the established 'big six' or whatever they're called nowadays.

Only a personal preference tbh, but I'd far rather have a team full of Bruno's and Botmans who come to our club/country with their best years ahead of them (in theory anyway) than sign players like Casemiro and Varane.

As I said, appreciate that won't be everyone's view, but it's mine.

Varane was only 27 when we signed him for £34m. An absolute bargain.

Casemiro I understand from the financial perspective, but as people have said he's transformed the team. Not just with his own ability, but his attitude. He's so good he's allowed more freedom to players like Fernandes and Fred and they're back to their best because of him. It's like 3 signings in 1.

I'd happily just fill the team with South Americans at this point. :lol: Mental monsters.

9 hours ago, STM said:

Their big issue comes from losing Casemiro or Varane to injury but they have the finance to buy 3 or so quality players to compete in the squad.

De Gea

Varane

Martinez

Shaw

Casemiro

Eriksen

Fernandes

Rashford

Are league winning quality. That's 8 players. Man City usual have around 14 plus a few decent ones. So they are 6 players short. But Sancho and Anthony could find consistent form and be considered a 9th or 10th. IMO they are around 2 seasons away from winning the league, provided they get their recruitment right.

You'd have to ask @Froggyhow close this asessment is though.

I reckon you're spot on, although if you think 2 more years to be challengers, a good few of the players you mentioned will be well into their thirties and will be needing replaced.

I adore Sancho but I don't think he's going to make it. He has started to tail off again since coming back. Antony on the other hand has improved massively over his last few games, especially before his injury. I have a lot more faith in him now than I did a couple of months ago.

Would prefer Osimhen to Kane as well. Casemiro was a necessity to stabilise the midfield but think we should stay away from signing ageing players for huge fees and Kane is 30 this year. He's bound to cost a pretty penny still. £60m/£70m?

At the end of the day the league can be won with the right manager and the right system. Arsenal have been the best side in the league so far this season, and if you look at their team man for man they aren't better than us or City, but they blew us away at the Emirates and are top of the league. The 3-2 wasn't a close game at all. They've been super impressive and I don't think anyone would have seen this coming 6 months ago.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah, the fanzine brigade are the worst of the lot.  It’s usually rampant narcissism on show - they tie events in which they’re spectators and actively try to frame their lives around it (with little actual irony applied).  The Nick Hornby wannabes - ‘XXX club ruined my life’.   People who use a form of entertainment to explain why they’re so fucking miserable all the time.

I don’t like watching NUFC lose finals either.  But there’s fuck all I can do about it, you can only hope that at some point a manager and team we have at the club manages it.  Me twisting my arse about it won’t make any difference - somehow Mick Martin thinks that if our collective attitude is more critical, we’ll be rewarded with more trophies.  It’s fucking delusional. 

Totally agree. 

They have two world class CBs, arguably the best DM in the world and the most in-form striker in the league. 

Always hard to separate the manager from it all but they do have some excellent players and their biggest weakness has been fixed. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Is it ten years now since they last won the premier league? That will hurt them, massively. I don't see man City, arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool ( and us, hopefully) falling away and letting them have their own way like in the bad old days. I'd love it, love it if they don't win the league in the next ten years either.