Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Howe has already said we’re aiming for 9 points, so let’s just fucking go for it. A draw against Brighton doesn’t really help us all that much… we’d likely still need two wins.

not if we absolutely bum leicester.

It's going to be a long couple of days, like.

Mad how quickly our defence has switched from the league's best to being a bit shambolic.... in that respect, I fear Brighton's attack. Definitely see them scoring, so suddenly we need two.

Just have to hope there's an 'after the lord mayors show' vibe, with their week's outstanding performance already done.

Think if we don't win, there'll be shitloads of utter nonsense that will be undeservedly thrown at Eddie by some of our fans, and ofcourse also here. Fact is, Brighton are a good side, FA Cup semifinalists and in 7th place for a reason. Yes, we are in 3rd but it's football. Somethings go your way, some don't. It's not the end of the world or even the end of our Champions League chase this season if we get beaten. We need two more wins and if we don't get one on Thursday, we have 2 more chances to get it after that.

Whatever the outcome on Thursday, we can still make it. Lose, and it's still in our hands.

6 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

It's going to be a long couple of days, like.

Mad how quickly our defence has switched from the league's best to being a bit shambolic.... in that respect, I fear Brighton's attack. Definitely see them scoring, so suddenly we need two.

Just have to hope there's an 'after the lord mayors show' vibe, with their week's outstanding performance already done.

A lot of our defensive issues are coming from our midfield not functioning.

Our best scenario is 0-0 at half time and we can bring on Wilson to win the game.

If this is an open game, which I think it will be, we are in big trouble.

For all Brighton are a good side they're more than capable of throwing in a bad performance as well, they've just been beaten by Forest & Everton. They can concede a lot of goals, let's not pretend like they're the second coming of Barcelona 2010-11.

Guest reefatoon

How good is this man, battling away for a place at the top end of the league instead of the other end. These games are what it’s all about. Can’t wait.

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

How good is this man, battling away for a place at the top end of the league instead of the other end. These games are what it’s all about. Can’t wait.

It's fucking exhausting, nauseating, and exciting in equal measure. :lol:

I'm sure it'll already have been mentioned on this thread but we have a truly abysmal record in the PL v these. I remember beating them at home last season when we went 2-0 up early on but other than that I'm struggling.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'm sure it'll already have been mentioned on this thread but we have a truly abysmal record in the PL v these. I remember beating them at home last season when we went 2-0 up early on but other than that I'm struggling.

We're not that team anymore, that was a team with about half the ability and even less of the coaching and management this team has.

Concerned about this game. Brighton on a good day can absolutely go toe to toe with anyone, they haven't been as consistent as us is all in why we are where we are in table, they dropped more points from shocking performances such as the Everton game, whereas we have managed to grind out draws often when not at our best. 

Basically all to say this feels a polarized one. I think the team is tired, Longstaff out is huge blow, Bruno a shadow of himself with injury, they have pushed so hard with intensity all season I am not going to be mad at them at running out of steam, they have achieved more than anticipated of them, it is not a deep squad yet. If Brighton turn up full of confidence I worry they could hurt us, if they aren't at their best we could turn them over. Not sure. 

10 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Early goal would be massive here.

Cue Longstaff being back (phew) and missing his customary first 5 minute sitter (Or Willock if SL isn't available)

[emoji38]

Was thinking this the other day. I like Longstaff but his absence has got people thinking he was prime Ballack. If he comes back and misses a sitter they’ll be fuming again [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, St1pe said:

[emoji38]

Was thinking this the other day. I like Longstaff but his absence has got people thinking he was prime Ballack. If he comes back and misses a sitter they’ll be fuming again [emoji38]

He leads our press and makes Bruno look better. He's vital I think.

3 hours ago, Weznufc said:

Howe definitely needs to drop this Wilson and isak and just pick one. 

Yep, it was worth trying, but I think starting both doesn't work. I actually think they can play together, but it's far more effective when one comes on to join the other. Totally different game state as opposed to them both starting. 

3 minutes ago, christ said:
57 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

It's fucking exhausting, nauseating, and exciting in equal measure. :lol:

Must be mint to be firmly midtable and just be able to enjoy the football.

It's class, this. Really wouldn't have it any other way. Can barely get Thursday out of my head. Compare this to my frame of mind during the Bruce years and the latter Pardew years, where I either couldn't give a monkeys or was actively rooting against us - against a backdrop of general misery and depression... it's just epic.