NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Probably better for FFP this way.

AND... West Ham transfer approach has been shambolic. They don't know what they are doing.

It's almost as though the entire club shuts when the season ends then the staff turn up with a week till the season starts, do a head count and start chucking offers in 

46 minutes ago, MagMal said:

We need a young striker to learn from Wilson and provide cover for him and Isak, I have horrible visons of history repeating itself when we were only left with Jon Dal Tommason to cover upfront and out of position 

We’re not signing anyone of any quality to be third choice, so at that stage you’re just taking up a squad place for the sake of it.

Pundits have to say something even when there’s nothing to say so not worth reading too much into Carragher

It is true the club has a very specific profile; age 20-25, up to £50m, from clubs that need to sell. This does contrast with Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City and who go after more established players and will pay bigger fees. Nothing controversial in stating that. 

He hasnt even said anything bad at all. 

“He’s looking at players who he thinks ‘they’ve got great potential and I’m a great coach, I’m going to make them even better’. But I don’t think they’re the type of signings that the rest of the Premier League would make.”

The bit in bold is purely a compliment to our manager and our new signings.

The bit in italics is likely because our FFP. Harvey Barnes for example fits into our budget/restrictions, whereas the clubs we want to be competing against are probably able to afford to spend a bit more on better.

Anyone who thinks "But I don’t think they’re the type of signings that the rest of the Premier League would make" is insulting us and not them is has way too much respect for the rest of the leagues competence like 

Edited by Tiresias

34 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I assume Arsenal don’t want to strengthen us which is fair enough 

If they would rather take less money from Sociedad then fair enough. I can't see how they would offer a better deal than us, so can only assume Arsenal would prefer to sell him abroad.

Or maybe we just don't think he's worth it.

8 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Loan with obligation and meaning he can't play against Arsenal this season. It should suit them and us.

Only in a scenario where Aresnal are guaranteed to finish above us. Wouldn't seem so smart if they strengthen us with a loan player and we finish above them. Unlikely I know but its possible.

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Only in a scenario where Aresnal are guaranteed to finish above us. Wouldn't seem so smart if they strengthen us with a loan player and we finish above them. Unlikely I know but its possible.

I don't think it's all that unlikely, but so far none of the big six have sold or loaned us a player and I don't think that'll change.

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think it's all that unlikely, but so far none of the big six have sold or loaned us a player and I don't think that'll change.

Exactly. They will just dick us around. Hall being the latest example you’d imagine. 

5 hours ago, gdm said:

It’s here at 1:01 and it’s not as bad as seeing it written down he’s saying it as a question to Kendall rather than a statement of fact 

Thought Kendall on that was pretty spot on with everything. 

Depends what the player holds out for too. 

It wouldn't be a surprise if we found ourselves in a similar situation to Lingard with Arsenal wanting ridiculous amounts if he holds out for us. If its obligation to buy I guess there is a much greater chance of them to be into it. 

I can see Carragher's point of view. He is basically saying he would have expected us to make those signings anyway, which for Livramento and Barnes he's probably right, I definitely don't think we'd have got Tonali without our CL qualification. Carragher was expecting us to push the boat out a bit more because we have CL football now, instead of the likes of Barnes and Livramento go for players who are established in Europe already. I think it'll pay off for us either way, plus we're not done yet. 

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

I can see Carragher's point of view. He is basically saying he would have expected us to make those signings anyway, which for Livramento and Barnes he's probably right, I definitely don't think we'd have got Tonali without our CL qualification. Carragher was expecting us to push the boat out a bit more because we have CL football now, instead of the likes of Barnes and Livramento go for players who are established in Europe already. I think it'll pay off for us either way, plus we're not done yet. 

Yeah, that's exactly what he was saying. Staggering how anybody in football punditry can still make the claim we have deep pockets and not understand the basics around FFP as well as knowing all the while that we had virtually no commercial income up until Sela.