José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Shay leaving was obviously a big blow in the relegation season. To suggest we might have picked up one more point if he'd been playing is hardly stretching a point.

So you believe that Ashley's decision to sell Given cost us relegation?

Not entirely, I'm just saying Shay being at the club might have kept us up. It was certainly one of the factors.

In any case, I got the impression that the player himself was exceptionally keen to leave, thinking he would be first choice keeper at the new Man City superclub. So he has to shoulder part of the blame.

Which is why I didn't think it was a bad deal to sell Given at the time. We didn't get relegated due to selling Given any more than because Owen didn't score goals, or Barton not playing, or N'Zogbia being sold etc. I would say there were far bigger factors like failure to buy in the January window or hiring Kinnear instead of a proper manager. Selling Given was one of the decisions which probably impacted the least because Harper came in and did well.

Agreed on that like. Kinnear, Zoggy, Owen being a shit cunt were all ahead of Given throwing his toys out of the pram. He refused to play for us, the decision to sell Given wasn't ours, it was his.

We eventually need to say bye to Given and Harper.  That's a miss but it's an inevitable one.  We've managed to make the best use of it to blood in Krul, just like how we blood in Carroll after disposing Owen.  That's a "miss" but we have made the best use of it. 

http://www.as.com/futbol/articulo/llama-seleccion-doy-palmas-orejas/20110121dasdaiftb_44/Tes

That Enrique interview from this morning. Main pointers.

You've played in 21 of the 22 games Newcastle have played this season, you're a first-team regular, and a left-back. A bit of a rare diamonds these days.

I'm very happy with my season, I'm meeting my objectives. At first it was difficult because I couldn't speak English, but now I understand everything. Yes it's good to be playing at left-back because there are gaps in that position. Real Madrid & Barcelona for example have foreigners in that position, Marcelo & Abidal, Man Utd have Evra...

And Capdevila in the national side. The only one for which there's no clear replacement for Del Bosque.

We'll see if I catch his eye. If Del Bosque gives me the call I'll be very happy, I'll keep knocking on the door. I'm Spanish and it would make me the happiest man in the world. It won't be easy because Spain are the World champions, but we have a coach who doesn't just look to La Liga, he values those who go elsewhere to ply their trade.

Capdevila went to Villarreal, and not long after they sold you to Newcastle. Why?

Because it was a good deal, they paid just over €9m for me, which was 1m more than Chelsea paid for Del Horno. Capdevila is an extraordinary player, and a world champion, but, if you excuse me, I want to get into the national side.

Why don't you think Capdevila wants to retire? Are you ready to step into the national side or is there still a long way to go?

Capdevila is the boss, but it's clear that he was our only left-back at the World Cup and that could open the door.

You were an U21 international and you also played in the Under 20 World Cup in Holland. Do you know many of the current side?

I've been with Cesc, Pique, Albiol and Silva, with whom I was with as a kid at Valencia. Nobody has to tell me with the atmosphere's like in the squad. I'm certain it's the best.

You must have taken great pleasure from the World Cup. Where did you watch the Final?

It was great! I was with my team Newcastle in Scotland. We all gathered to watch it. Only Xisco and myself were supporting Spain, everyone else was for Holland. When Iniesta scored the goal I jumped for joy. But when Casillas lifted that trophy, it put that squad down in folklore.

You didn't leave any trace in Spain, so how come it is now that you're on the verge of being called up by Del Bosque?

I went from the Third Division to Segunda B with Levante and Oltra, who was the manager, didn't pick me. I spoke to him and he said, "When the full-back is next out, you'll get your chance", and it happened the following Sunday. I became a first-team regular and was picked for the Under 20s World Cup, being the only player picked from Segunda B. I went to Valencia where Quique Flores never put me in, then to Villarreal with Pellegrini, and now to the Premier League.

In England they call you "The Bull". Is that because you're Spanish or because of your strength?

The nickname was given to me by Juanfran, who is a phenomenon. But I've got stronger here in the Premier League.

This season you've been named Man of the Match on five occasions.

The good thing was I was named Man of the Match against City even though we lost 1-3. Despite that, I got it. I'd have preferred not to have lost however.

Has the Premier League made you a better player?

I'm an attacking full-back, but in England I've really learned how to defend, which is required against these opponents and style of play. Here, football's more about space, power and pace, whereas Spain is more technical and tactical. You have to always be alert.

Being completely selfish, i never want player to get called up to their respective national squads. But i think it would help us astronomically if he was - and, also, it'd be brilliant for him. If he knows he can get into the Spain side whilst he's playing in England, he's running out of reasons to have to go! :razz:

The interview just sums up everything good about this guy. Wholehearted and class. If Allardyce made a few duff signings like Smith I suppose this one more than made up for it. Assuming he wasn't scouted before he came here.

Capdevila is an extraordinary player, and a world champion, but, if you excuse me, I want to get into the national side.

:lol: He's even polite and respectful when trying to kick someone out of the national team! :aww:

Guest sicko2ndbest

I reckon he'll sign a new contract.

So that's that cancelled out.

Would love you to be right Dave.

I personally think it is dependent on whether he gets called up for Spain or not. The guy can't really do any more but he is not in the spot light because he plays for a mid table club in one of the mist insignificant positions on the pitch.

If he played for Spain, which I personally think he is more than capable of doing it will throw him into the stratosphere, and if we don't have him in a 4 year + contract you better believe he will go despite his ' I love Geordies ' pledges

The big test for Ashley will not be the players he brings in but how he secures the likes of Enrique, Barton and Carroll to longer deals. I know Carroll has signed a 5 yr deal but if he progresses he'll want the BIG deal.

I agree, to be fair to Ashley he's doing alright on that so far. More work to do though.

The big test for Ashley will not be the players he brings in but how he secures the likes of Enrique, Barton and Carroll to longer deals. I know Carroll has signed a 5 yr deal but if he progresses he'll want the BIG deal.

I agree, to be fair to Ashley he's doing alright on that so far. More work to do though.

enrique and barton are different cases though as they won't be offered increases like carroll due to their current wages.

enrique and barton are different cases though as they won't be offered increases like carroll due to their current wages.

Enrique should get at least what he's currently on, Barton is different because of his age and baggage that will probably put other clubs off him.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Jose will be the toughest to sign up

I think it is vital we do so before he makes his expected Spanish debut which will throw him into the limelight. My personal opinion is that he will sign a contract with a buy out clause or a gentlemans agreement that if club A/B come in for him he can talk to them, and i wouldnt begrudge him that. I dont think he will do the club out of pocket by running his contract down

Barton knows he is at the best club he will ever be at. Jose however, is good enough for the top clubs in my opinion and by that i mean Barcelona, Man utd etc and he is at a good age.

I truely believe he loves this club and we will remain close to his heart but i do see him returning to Spain at some point in his career.

If he signs i will be delighted, but i think we should all make the most of him whilst he is here and enjoy the qualities he brings

Jose will be the toughest to sign up

I think it is vital we do so before he makes his expected Spanish debut which will throw him into the limelight. My personal opinion is that he will sign a contract with a buy out clause or a gentlemans agreement that if club A/B come in for him he can talk to them, and i wouldnt begrudge him that. I dont think he will do the club out of pocket by running his contract down

Barton knows he is at the best club he will ever be at. Jose however, is good enough for the top clubs in my opinion and by that i mean Barcelona, Man utd etc and he is at a good age.

I truely believe he loves this club and we will remain close to his heart but i do see him returning to Spain at some point in his career.

If he signs i will be delighted, but i think we should all make the most of him whilst he is here and enjoy the qualities he brings

:thup: :thup: