Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

Honestly don't see what Harper's done to deserve this kind of wrath tbh.

That's what I'm thinking. I've had a right pop at Harper loads in the past but I think there could be more to this than meets the eye. Finding it hard to believe he's a worse keeper than Eliott but if he's so far out of the picture then he may as well go and get a game somewhere else. Something's not right about it all. 

Pardew is just evolving the squad. Always better to have younger, hungrier players with potential on the bench rather than older, second-rate players (when compared with the first team) who would be there to just pick up their money every week. Obviously Harper has served us well, but we don't owe him anything, and it's his own fault that he still isn't playing top-flight football as he could have left to get it and develop into a better keeper who could still play well to this day.

Pardew is just evolving the squad. Always better to have younger, hungrier players with potential on the bench rather than older, second-rate players (when compared with the first team) who would be there to just pick up their money every week. Obviously Harper has served us well, but we don't owe him anything, and it's his own fault that he still isn't playing top-flight football as he could have left to get it and develop into a better keeper who could still play well to this day.

Doubt that bringing Eliot has "evolved" the squad in anyway.

That's what I'm thinking. I've had a right pop at Harper loads in the past but I think there could be more to this than meets the eye. Finding it hard to believe he's a worse keeper than Eliott but if he's so far out of the picture then he may as well go and get a game somewhere else. Something's not right about it all. 

Think it's down to age personally. Elliot is younger and newer so he stays.

Doubt that bringing Eliot has "evolved" the squad in anyway.

It's the definition.

maybe its just a simple case of he wants to play (not unreasonable) but Krul is now the clear no 1 so a loan for a month is the best deal for all parties rather than some large conspiracy with ashley trying to take out the player committee

Guest Geordiesned

Confirmed by club according to nufc.com

Where's it say that? Not that I doubt it's happening.

They've edited the story already! Did say "club confirmed on Sunday night" originally.

A bit disappointed with this. He's given everything for this club, as we all would. I can't imagine he's on astronomical wages so sitting on the bench wouldn't be a problem. Would rather have him here at the club helping the youngsters, not just Krul. However it's probably something behind the scenes, being outspoken against Ashley etc which has sparked this. A real shame though, I really like the man.

He's done nothing to deserve it.

:thup:

I feel the same. Harper is a decent enough number 2 imho. I'm still not convinced by Elliot's ability like :undecided:

Guess it's just the case of Harper wanting to play regularly for a bit, it is only a one month loan after all.

He clearly doesn't want to sit on the bench anymore.

Agreed, he's no longer got time on his side and he's clearly never going to be No1 here again so he has no reason to stay here and could probably return if Krul picked up an injury.

He clearly doesn't want to sit on the bench anymore.

Just strikes me as a bit odd that after all these years NOW he decides he wants to play? I dunno, not trying to stir up any conspiracy theories here, just saying  :undecided:

Just strikes me as a bit odd that after all these years NOW he decides he wants to play? I dunno, not trying to stir up any conspiracy theories here, just saying  :undecided:

In the past he will have known he could get in the team and keep his position, now he'll know that Krul will always be ahead of him when fit.

Got a LOT of respect for Harper but think the 'welcome' for Elliot has been the standard over the top reaction in general.

I'm probably just being silly but I think the club have decided who is second choice on ability and are loaning out the other one short term to keep him match fit.

I think Pardew seems desperate to keep everyone happy, hence tolerating Obertan's poor performances etc and keeping him in team. Harper was probably pretty upset to not be getting any footy so Pardew, with maybe too much respect for his feelings, has allowed him to go out.

It is way way too soon to judge Eliot, one bad game ffs.