Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Given Howe said he was practically putting out a team for survival and not the way he actually wants us to play - maybe now is worth experimenting with his favoured system?

I'd like to see Almiron as a 10 with Bruno?/Joelinton behind him and see how that goes.

It's no coincidence that he's looking more effective with a player sat behind him that will actively look to use him to his strengths. His expectation and anticipation of the pass from Bruno is almost making him look a yard faster and as a result he's getting into dangerous positions with increased frequency.

He's starting to look like he's enjoying himself again, too, which is critical for him in particular it seems.

11 minutes ago, Lenny said:

It's no coincidence that he's looking more effective with a player sat behind him that will actively look to use him to his strengths. His expectation and anticipation of the pass from Bruno is almost making him look a yard faster and as a result he's getting into dangerous positions with increased frequency.

He's starting to look like he's enjoying himself again, too, which is critical for him in particular it seems.

Can't emphasise how important that is. His best form was under Rafa who really appreciated his selfless running, so you would like to think he would respond well if Howe gave him that sort of backing. Looking forward to seeing how he does against Norwich now he's got a goal under his belt and some public praise from Eddie.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Definitely worth keeping around for 1 more season. 

Agreed. Hope he stays cos there's definitely room in the squad for this version of him. Clearly wants too as well iyam. 

I don't this he is worth keeping to be honest, every time he gets the ball in the final third he just plays it back or to the side, never really attacks teams or puts good crosses in or tries to get in a shooting position, he's only had that one goal and no assists all season and that is less output than any of our attacking players this year including Murphy and Matt Ritchie in that list.

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I don't this he is worth keeping to be honest, every time he gets the ball in the final third he just plays it back or to the side, never really attacks teams or puts good crosses in or tries to get in a shooting position, he's only had that one goal and no assists all season and that is less output than any of our attacking players this year including Murphy and Matt Ritchie in that list.

I'm not a fan of his, never have been but he's a player who is starting to emerge through the Howe methods. Some took to it right away, others have taken a little more time, I think he's got something to give from the bench and odd games, whether that's enough for him or not I'm sure we'll find out.

Well, if he goes (and he probably should) this is the way to go. 90 mins of all action energy. He might not have end product, but he can be a massive pain in the arse for the opposition when he's on song.

Seems like a lovely guy but I think this is a nice moment to end things on. I hope he's played his way in the last few games to a bigger and better club and contract than he otherwise would have had 6 months ago.

I would keep, I really like him. There’s not many people who can press like that for a whole game and still attack. 

I’m not saying he should start every game in attack next year, but I’d definitely keep him around.