Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, andyc35i said:

I really hope we actually have some good evidence just so we can see it destroy the PL

Even with the most incriminating evidence ever, I worry that it won’t matter. Are Sky and the BBC going to nail them? 

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

Ultimately, you have to go through layers of definitions and cross-reference different sections, but it boils down to the term "Director" not being limited to a literal director for corporate governance purposes but also encompassing people who have a level of control that the rules deem sufficient for them to be treated as such:

Well, we are screwed then

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

Ultimately, you have to go through layers of definitions and cross-reference different sections, but it boil down to a "Director" not meaning a literal director for corporate governance purposes but encompassing people who have a level of control that the rule deem sufficient for them to be treated as such:

theres also this from the owners and directors test in the premier league handbook

G.5. Each Club shall publish the identities of the ultimate owner of each Significant Interest in the Club.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Ultimately, you have to go through layers of definitions and cross-reference different sections, but it boils down to the term "Director" not being limited to a literal director for corporate governance purposes but also encompassing people who have a level of control that the rules deem sufficient for them to be treated as such:

Yeap, shadow directors are a big issue in business in general.  E.g.  people are banned from being directors in business just get family/friends to be directors in name but it's the person banned who's running things behind the scenes.

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The uncomfortable truth for some tonight. Keith’s anti competition case will now probably get heard before Arbitration. I think John Lennon wrote a song called ‘working class hero’ once upon a time. Chin up lads I’ll get back to the positive thread.

Get a fuckin grip man.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If it was a solid 'no' at the time, why didn't the Premier League just reject it there and then?

This is the main question for me.  I suspect their legal advice on the matter didn't conclude what the decision should be + other interference issues.

On 27/10/2020 at 13:18, LFEE said:

Definitely coordinated. Slowly cornering the EPL. This initial letter is just the stalking horse before it gets taken to court. If they need to go that far.

Was thinking how today has played out when sharing my thoughts what the aim was of NCSL. Seven months later and finally confirmed 😂 Glad when this is all concluded successfully 🤞🏻🙂

3 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

theres also this from the owners and directors test in the premier league handbook

Yep. Which creates a duty to publish, but doesn't necessarily mean that publishing a person as such, or not publishing them as such, has any effect on whether the person actually falls within the definition of "Director". 

I'm not saying it's right, or good, or perfect, or anything -- just that's how you can have a person be a "Director" without being a director.

6 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

So is it possible the outcome of this will be that they can point out that other clubs are in breach of the O&D rules and either risk upsetting them all or have a change of heart over ours?

10 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Yep. Which creates a duty to publish, but doesn't necessarily mean that publishing a person as such, or not publishing them as such, has any effect on whether the person actually falls within the definition of "Director". 

I'm not saying it's right, or good, or perfect, or anything -- just that's how you can have a person be a "Director" without being a director.

which is why you don't try and buy a football club with the fucking public investment fund of saudi arabia! Get a loyal minion or other royal family member to do it like City then you can sportswash away without technically involving the crown prince and the baggage he brings 

5 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

True Faith released a special podcast tonight with Alex Hurst, Mick Martin and some legal expert. The legal guy is 100% convinced this isnt about forcing a takeover but all about Ashley getting money. Worth a listen 

Did this guy suggest what level of compensation Ashley is looking for ? 
Surely getting the takeover done is all about Ashley getting his money.

The PL wanted to reject it, the reason they didn’t was because of the political consequences. I believe that’s what they meant by unchartered territory.

The crux of the arbitration is whether they applied the rules correctly in their assessment. They are essentially ignoring a court ruling which states that PIF are an independent entity to trust their gut feeling that MBS is a person of significant influence. (they are not wrong.. of course he is) but whether they can provide a legal case for this that supersedes the original court ruling is the key here.

It’s a strong move from the club, I believe it’s massive pressure on the PL now that this info will be out in the open. It supports and adds weight to the arbitration case, in fact, the PL may not let this get to court and just let the club get what they want through an “arbitration decision”

But on the flip side it wound suggest that the arbitration itself is still early doors so we may well be quite a while off getting any sort of resolution on this

32 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’ve had a grip all along thanks.

'uncomfortable truth' ..... ' chin up'.

You're going on as if people don't want good news.  If it goes through, most people on here will be happy.... while you sit there telling everyone 'I told you so' most people will be celebrating.

2 hours ago, Wilson said:

You're going on as if people don't want good news.  If it goes through, most people on here will be happy.... while you sit there telling everyone 'I told you so' most people will be celebrating.

Agree, anyone who doesn’t want this is not a Newcastle fan, unless they are genuinely in their beliefs against Saudi ownership and can’t set those beliefs aside. Don’t necessarily agree, but I can understand the reasons. The scale of how this will play out is certainly open to opinion and I can understand for and against points of view on the likelihood of this coming to fruition and the takeover proceeding. Myself, I’m at 50/50 as I don’t really know what the legal process will involve and how it will play out. I am also not (as nobody is except those involved) privilege to the data and information the legal team (or should I say teams now after today’s news) holds to push ahead their legal arguments. We will just have to wait and see how it plays out, but today’s developments were certainly very interesting.

Edited by et tu brute

I’ve been optimistic throughout all of this but I’m now of the opinion that it’s dead in the water. We’re gonna be seeing Tweets from this Keith guy all summer and appearances on Wraiths podcast all summer with bits of news here and there as per usual. It was March, then April then the summer and eventually we’ll hear it won’t be done by the start of the season then it’ll be before the end of the year and it’ll roll on and on. It’s fucking bullshit and I’m sick of it. Ashley will still be here this time next year and Bruce probably will be as well. 

It’s time to get back to protesting against Ashley and Bruce and forget about this bloody thing.

Edited by Decky

4 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Agree, anyone who doesn’t want this is not a Newcastle fan, unless they are genuinely in their beliefs against Saudi ownership and can’t set those beliefs aside. Don’t necessarily agree, but I can understand the reasons. 

I don't know any more; I had reconciled the Saudi thing in my head without too much difficulty but as we went through the ESL shambles a couple of weeks ago, part of me got thinking that I would rather stay poor and irrelevant and not become one of 'them' tbh, because we absolutely would.

Would probably be ok with it for a while, all the same :lol: :shifty:

Edited by OpenC

5 hours ago, Wilson said:

Come on I could bump a few posts on here that have derided Keith on here the last few months. Most on here have him down as a gob shite who was doing and knew fuck all.

It’s turned out somewhat different though hasn’t it. He was working closely with the club throughout and as it’s turned out the anti competition case will be used as a means to get disclosure and hopefully yes a settlement.

He’ll get no credit on here even last night proved that, but yes the majority will celebrate when this is announced. In no small thanks to a massive part played by Keith Patterson and Gordon Stein.