Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

6 hours ago, Manxst said:

He’s on £350kpw until 26/27 so it’ll be a while yet until it gets to the position where he’s thinking of running his contract down. Given that time, why would he go elsewhere for significantly less money? 

He's on how much? Mind, he was on close to £200k at Dortmund, somehow.

I think that rules us out :lol: 

17 hours ago, joeyt said:

This Youssouf Fofana any good for France?

Seems to be a starter for a potentially World Cup winning team and he's only young-ish and at Monaco

In terms of yesterdays match - Amrabat stole the show - really didn’t notice Fofana

I think the Joao Pedro boat might have sailed but he scored two great goals today with Bilic saying this:

"Pedro, if you talk about him, it is sometimes scary when you know he is only 21. To play so consistently at that high a level, it is great for us.

"He is good in the air. When the keeper is hitting a long ball, he is winning those balls, he is doing well in the midfield.

"He's this kind of player, the way he's improving on a weekly basis. The game-changers are always the ones who are deciding the game."

Goals here: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/watford/12770155/huddersfield-town-0-2-watford-sky-bet-championship-highlights

44 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye, the athletic said we made another bid, he has recently signed a new deal mind.

He fits the bill, can play across the front 3 and do either out and out striker or wing forward role really well. The new contract is surely just to push the eventual transfer fee up. 

Yeah. Saw someone say the other day that they're so at peace with Ashworth/Howe in the market that its taken a bit of fun out of it.

The idea of Ashworth's Brighton business with out budget/future budget and pull is most assuaging. Not heard of a player?! Doesn't matter. Total trust in them.

Would love McAllister.

Edited by Wolfcastle

4 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Pretty sure Ashworth said himself wasn’t responsible for finding the players at Brighton mind.

But he's the one that approved/sanctioned the transfer, isn't he?

Maybe after all these years of stories about "X scout recommended Y player to Newcastle but they didn't buy him for reasons and he's now world class at Z club" we now have someone in charge that isn't afraid to take a chance on raw talent so we can have a few of these as well?

Edited by Conjo

Targett is good, but not the best going forward. Would love a proper attacking option at LB. Burn plays more as left sided CB than a left back, meaning he'll offer very little going forward.

Would also like a proper winger on the right. Miggy has improved, but is still limiting our attacking play by not having a right foot. An upgrade is needed. Without ASM on the field we're way too narrow in attack, and our only proper wide option is Trippier.

Having those two extra options in our squad would give us so much more flexibility.

On 18/12/2022 at 19:48, SUPERTOON said:

Pretty sure Ashworth said himself wasn’t responsible for finding the players at Brighton mind.

I have a theory that a lot of dysfunctional transfer units at clubs are because the DoF or whatever executive is in charge of transfers ultimately fancies himself to have the best eye for players as anyone, and they may well have a very good eye and rose up doing that, but their scouts will have watched players for hundreds of hours and then delivered highlight reels to the DoF who will get a substantially poorer idea and will overrule those below based on less viewing time. Ashworth, with a demonstrable good track record of this is probably delegating properly and trusting the scouts more. Some DoFs I am sure will take credit for scouting loads of players that were just served up to them. Ashworth has to get the right scouts, set out what players we need to the scouts and negotiate with other clubs for signings. I am pretty sure I've heard this has been the problem at Man U, where they boast about how extensive their scout network is, they get loads of players and they all used to get passed up to Woodward at the top who would then go lol I'm going to just sign Pogba instead.