More transfer rumours

midds

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Still a massive risk to go into a season with him as the only striker.

Regardless of how we might try wrap him in cotton wool, he’s been injury prone for years and will likely get injured at some stage.

Not getting a striker in would be a failure. I’d put that as the most important position to strengthen right now, closely followed by RW and CM.

Fair enough, many would agree. 

I'd love a choice of 3 or 4 absolutely mint strikers but they're the ones who cost the most. Nursing Wilson through the season isn't ideal but we might need to do it, we've already bought a completely new back 4 and a keeper and a mint CM. We can't replace everyone immediately, to think we could do that is idiocy, we can't throw tantrums because they've not managed to fix every problem immediately it's absurd. It's exactly the thing I've been fearing our moronic fanbase would kick off for. Everything now! Fucking arseholes man, just give it a bit of time ffs.  

3 minutes ago, midds said:

Fair enough, many would agree. 

I'd love a choice of 3 or 4 absolutely mint strikers but they're the ones who cost the most. Nursing Wilson through the season isn't ideal but we might need to do it, we've already bought a completely new back 4 and a keeper and a mint CM. We can't replace everyone immediately, to think we could do that is idiocy, we can't throw tantrums because they've not managed to fix every problem immediately it's absurd. It's exactly the thing I've been fearing our moronic fanbase would kick off for. Everything now! Fucking arseholes man, just give it a bit of time ffs.  

I think Ashley has shown how important a striker is. You can probably limp through a season with a gap elsewhere but strikers are worth so many points.

If we only sign one more, I’d prefer it to be a striker for that reason. I’d be fairly indifferent about that as a window altogether, but I’d be disappointed overall with the window if that last signing was anything else… if that makes sense.

As long as we're loaning players to fill gaps where we can't buy the quality we want. We're not a Man City or Liverpool where we have loads of quality already in the squad to fall back on if we can't get our number one targets. Our team, quality wise is very lopsided and I wouldn't be happy to go into the season with the current squad.

The squad just lacks goal scorers whether it be in attacking midfield, out wide or up top. The days of your 20+ goals a season man are long gone, but most semi-competent sides have at least 2-3 players who chip in. We have Wilson (it remains to be seen if Bruno continues to contribute regularly in his new position).

That's why I don't think a striker should necessarily be a priority, but a goal scorers should. For example, we could live with a few games of Wood if we had a winger that we knew we could rely on to bang a few in. Unfortunately, if you're not willing to gamble on a player who is unproven, you have to pay a premium.

Seems Tielmans seems dead set on arsenal. Can't believe they will go for Paqueta as well. Fair play to their ambition if they do! Must be one or the other surely. I think we stand to gain. 

Also... cheeky loan bid for Werner? He is hinting he wants to move to somewhere for regular starts. ?

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'll be so surprised if we actually end up going for Paqueta like. Everything I've seen is pure fan will and nothing from the club at all.

I thought the same until recent quotes from Howe about strengthening the team in areas not quite as pressing if we don’t get our primary targets in the areas we do need.

50 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Of course, Lyon would release info about how much they'd be prepared to accept, thus negating their bargaining position

Could be that Newcastle have offered £34m and Lyon are trying to smoke out other offers to get a bidding war going 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The source is Media Foot mind. I'm not sure why Lyon would suddenly half their valuation in a World Cup year.

Not exactly half, 60m Euros down to 40m Euros is still significant obviously.  Didn't he put in a transfer request?

Looks like West Ham are in line to get both Broja and Lingard. While I'm not sure either of them are ideal signings from our POV, it still strengthens them significantly, and they are obviously better than the likes of Muphy. Almiron and Wood. As things stand we aren't likely to finish ahead of West Ham. A lot will depend on if we still have options up our sleeve to bring in more firepower.