West Ham United vs. Newcastle United: 19/02/2022 @ 12.30pm (BT)

LRD

I think this is a tough one to call.

West Ham have been really indifferent of late. After an unfortunate defeat at Old Trafford, they scraped past a solid looking Watford and rescued a late draw v Leicester.

While some key players such as Soucek, Fornals and Antonio have seemed out of sorts, Jarrod Bowen has been electric. Drifting in from the right, only Salah has more direct goal involvement this season. He's bound to keep Targett and Burn busy and if we come too high, he's a threat in behind.

As ever I think we'll keep the game tight and as stop-start as we possibly can. I still worry about our ability to score goals from open play, with three of the last five being direct free kicks, as well as an own goal forced from a corner. We're once again heavily reliant on ASM, who should get some joy running at Coufal and Dawson.

I'm really not sure what to expect here, but given our confidence is sky high, I think we may well get something: 1-1 

35 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Id like something similar to accommodate ASM "not tracking back"

Dubravka 

Schar     Lascelles    Burn

Murphy                                       Targett 

Bruno

Willock       Joelinton 

<------ ASM (free) --------->

Wood

ASM has to start on the left. 

I watched the Leicester game at the weekend and Harvey Barnes caused them so many problems down that side. Coufal got subbed after getting beaten time and time again. 

They looked a bit better when he went off but could see Maxi running riot. 

I've not seen a lot of West Ham this season but every time I have they've never impressed me. 

I'm more confident about getting something here than I was getting anything from Leeds. 

48 minutes ago, madras said:

Hammer at work (RTGism I know) says Antonio is just shattered, apparently their only recognised striker left in the squad. Don't know if true.

Aye, if you have a spy on their forum a good few of them are talking about how knackered Antonio has seemed lately. They seem to think Bowen through the middle could be the answer.

As usual, growing ever more confident as the week progresses, which nosedives half an hour before kick-off :lol:

Agree with what others have said, Hammer at work has shared the same fear about players being tired, especially Antonio. Think our biggest challenge is keeping Rice muted however, so I'll be hoping Joelinton and Shelvey can do enough there.

Edited by SiLvOR
Spelling

This is such a great benchmark to see how far we have come.

Playing away against a good team. Win, lose or draw - hope we put in a great performance.

We need to keep the condidence

Edited by arnonel

57 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Confused by this. Where are you talking about?

That is my reply to Scoot, who was talking about Stanley, which is the UK town located at the highest point above sea level of any sizeable UK settlement. Consequently it gets a very different climate, particularly in winter, to other 'towns' in the UK.

5 hours ago, arnonel said:

Id like something similar to accommodate ASM "not tracking back"

Dubravka 

Schar     Lascelles    Burn

Murphy                                       Targett 

Bruno

Willock       Joelinton 

<------ ASM (free) --------->

Wood

The Athletic suggested this could be our line up with Fraser in for Murphy.

It seems a strange thing to WANT Howe to change a winning side, but we have to proactive IMO. We are away from home, against a top half side, without Trippier. A small tweak to the 11 doesn't mean a change in philosophy or attitude.

Give Shelvey a "rest" for the fitter Bruno and move Maxi into the middle to feed off his through balls. If it doesn't quite work, we can tweek it again for Brentford, who are on the ropes ATM.

Edited by STM

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Don't mind that, I don't necessarily think we need another defender mind. 

If Manquillo is fit you could just swap him in for Trippier. 

Manquillo is injured for 2 weeks apparently. It's either Krafth as a right back or changing to wing backs, in order to bring Murphy in, or as I suggested possibly moving Fraser to wingback but that's highly unlikely.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Manquillo is injured for 2 weeks apparently. It's either Krafth as a right back or changing to wing backs, in order to bring Murphy in, or as I suggested possibly moving Fraser to wingback but that's highly unlikely.

Ah OK, can see that then :thup:

Maxi ran these ragged when we won 3-2 two seasons back. If we are strong and compete in midfield as we should, then I can see us making chances. Set pieces could be the difference again.

Cat kicking, dildo salesmen, cants 1 - 3 Glorious Kingdom of Newcastle United. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Cant look beyond a point with this one, would feel a bit too greedy to do so, besides the better opposition and injuries. It keeps momentum going.

Hating these chip p*ssing on, fly in the ointment injuries.

Would absolutely take a point but West Ham looked knackered. Think their good first half of the season is taking its toll.

We look fresh and bright, which is why changing things to keep freshness in the starting 11 is crucial.