Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

12 hours ago, geordie_b said:

Now that we are rich can anyone explain how our takeover veto card works? Do we object or does the PL just presume we dont want it to happen?

We probably haven’t had time to grease enough palms yet for the PL to like us enough to allow an opinion 

15 hours ago, Pixelphish said:

If i'm reading that correctly, he's wiping off the 1.5 billy the club owes him?

Not really, it's just factored into the asking price. The buyer will be paying it.

It seems to have come to the point that you need to a billionaire to buy a championship club.

Realistically, only Gates, Bezos, Musk and that Aussie with the mines could buy outright one of Man U, Arsenal, City, or Chelsea without state backing

9 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

It seems to have come to the point that you need to a billionaire to buy a championship club.

Realistically, only Gates, Bezos, Musk and that Aussie with the mines could buy outright one of Man U, Arsenal, City, or Chelsea without state backing

Think the latest rumours involve a consortium of billionaires making a move for Chelsea. Wyss, Boehly etc, all worth around £5bn individually. Abramovich himself ‘only’ has a net worth of around £10bn.

It's funny to think that had our takeover not been sorted last year we'd likely be in the midst of litigation against the league right now. The timing would be pretty horrible and I think it might have been blocked. 

13 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

That horse bolted in 2008. Perhaps even 2003.

And truly jumped the shark in 2021. I'd be all for it, but I think we all know it'll be lip service and being carried out by an institution that's also corrupt, a bit like when FIFA set up that anti corruption department.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Never too late to do the right thing.

It's not, but then you hit the obstacle of whether you try to retroactively apply it. If not, how do you level that? I never championed the PIF cause, but I also struggled to see how they'd block our takeover rgiven who was already involved. 

Even Roman Abramovich isn't being removed from the Premier League. He's leaving to avoid sanction for something his country has done. Say they passed this law tomorrow, you'd hit the same obstacle as before with us in terms of them arguing that PIF is not the Saudi state and thus can't be held accountable. Even if we presume a drastic change in stance that sees PIF culpable, it wouldn't shock me if they simply sold to a Saudi citizen as something of a puppet owner. It really is a messy situation - modern day club ownership - and why I think it's unfair to demand fans be the voice on this.

It’s important to recognise the original intent of the test was purely to help stop owners running clubs into liquidation. 

Ultimately, we are a country which is based upon the rule of law and thus ejecting shareholders from the league isn’t quite as simple as some people may believe. 

That's a continuation of a trend, China using their new economic power to try to bully the Western media into not speaking about certain things. It's only going to become more common in the years to come.