Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United - 23/10/22 @ 4:30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

14 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

This. Wood should start tomorrow, Wilson on after 60 mins. Even if we lose to spurs, if we beat Villa and Southampton and we're on 24 points after 14 games.

I think we should let the medical/physio staff check him out and if he's good to go, let him play. If he's carrying a knock or they think his playing has a very high likelihood of him missing the games before the World Cup break, then leave him out.

This is the type of game on FM where you have key players out making it unlikely to get a result, and a few key players remaining that you don't wan to risk getting injured in a hectic schedule where you end up fielding a full b team and just take the L. :lol:

Tomorrow represents an amazing opportunity, particularly given the way other results have gone so far. To be right in the mix and five points ahead of one of the other so-called six at this stage would be massive. There's Villa and Southampton to follow straight after as well.

While I think we'll lose, I'm hoping for a better performance than last time.  Spurs have had a good side for some time now, but I think Conte is the first manager they've had where I could now picture them really pushing on at the top.  A point against these should be seen as a massive bonus.

I would say we are competing with Tottenham now, so we can't just gift them three points. We have to go to there to get something. It would be better to beat them and lose to Villa. 

If FFP actually is a thing for us, any chance of CL qualification has to be grasped, because it means 80M or whatever in revenue and justification for Arsenal/Tottenham sized sponsorship deals.

No-one can accuse Aramco (or whoever) of overpaying us if we are in the CL and Arsenal were paid the same by Emirates for not being in it for years.

I fully expect us to go there with a strategy aimed at winning the match —seems so obvious that it feels daft to say. However, some fans seemingly think we should just accept the inevitable, take the hit. 

Bizarrely the Spurs fans forum is also full of pessimism and with  dissatisfaction with how they are playing; despite their league position. I think if we can get at them, press in the way we did first half at Old Trafford, we have a real chance today. 

If we are without Bruno and Joelinton, and especially if we (surely we won’t) rest Wilson, then I’ll change my expectations.

My overriding feeling is a return to the nagging sense, expressed by many preseason, that we might regret not pushing for that extra attacking midfield role. Some could see  that  some of the big teams looked there for the taking. We couldn’t have fully foreseen our own succession of injuries, but let’s face it,  it isn’t uncommon to lose key players.

We couldn’t have fully foreseen Liverpool falling away as much as they currently are, or Chelsea sacking their manager and yet to fully impress, or Man Utd in full wobble, if not tilt. Add the overly defensive can’t beat the big boys patter coming from Spurs and all the talk of how West Ham or Leicester  or even Everton might fare, seems a bit narrow.  We are well into a season where we are clearly able to compete. Goals, even chances, against, so low. Number of  chances created  consistently better than I can previously recall.

We’re sitting sixth between Liverpool and Man Utd, yet results haven’t been overly favourable to us. A loss and draw (against the two best teams in the country last year) should on balance have been a draw and a win. There are a couple of draws we were unlucky not to win. Whilst I wouldn’t include Man Utd away in that, on the balance of the game, we managed a draw despite key players missing. 

Only Man City and Arsenal are firing on all cylinders. If we’ve been lucky in the timing of our resurgence coming with others  not being in their usual form, we’ve definitely been unlucky with injuries,  and we could argue with some results. How many extra points might we realistically have had with a Maddison or a Diaby type within the squad?

Hoping that turns today. We get the rub of the green in their lovely new stadium.  If we turn up with intent, can you really see Howe doing anything else?, we can win this. An appearance in the top four, however brief, will  show all with financial control how close we are. We needed an additional one (or two) in the summer hopefully they can find a way of getting them in January. 

In the meanwhile, we can hope for the best but prepare for the angst of not quite having enough as yet. A much preferable kind of pain than that which comes with the struggle to stay up. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

I think on balance we probably need all our big guns playing to go to places like Spurs and win. Defensively we are sound but without key attackers I still think we’re a bit limited against the very best. But I think we can still give them a game, it’s just a concern if Spn and Kane really turn it on which might make the difference in this match. 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think on balance we probably need all our big guns playing to go to places like Spurs and win. Defensively we are sound but without key attackers I still think we’re a bit limited against the very best. But I think we can still give them a game, it’s just a concern if Spn and Kane really turn it on which might make the difference in this match. 

They’ll have to turn it on playing against the best defence in the league!

:tobey:

Edited by PauloGeordio

After how we were torn apart last season, I think we might go with a back 3 today and match up their shape.

If Schar can’t play then Lascelles, Botman & Burn with Trippier & Targett as wing backs. 

Bruno, Willock & Longstaff in midfield. Wilson up top with Almiron off him. 

Fancy at least a point and can foresee a dust-up between Conte and Tindall in this one.

Think we'll have to try and slow it down as much as possible due to fatigue at times, and it won't take much to get the crowd on their backs.

If we play it smart, the win's there for the taking. I'd bring Willock in for Joelinton, or move Joelinton higher in place of Murphy, but keep the rest the same and just use subs earlier.

7 hours ago, Stottie said:

I would say we are competing with Tottenham now, so we can't just gift them three points. We have to go to there to get something. It would be better to beat them and lose to Villa. 

If FFP actually is a thing for us, any chance of CL qualification has to be grasped, because it means 80M or whatever in revenue and justification for Arsenal/Tottenham sized sponsorship deals.

No-one can accuse Aramco (or whoever) of overpaying us if we are in the CL and Arsenal were paid the same by Emirates for not being in it for years.

We are not in contention for a champions league spot, I'd say Spurs are and will be after the 30 game mark. The overriding feeling is we possibly will finish anywhere between 7th and 10th and that will still be a good season. Gifting Spurs three points, isn't a thing yet, they're at home and will be strong favourites. Just seems way premature this, but I admire your optimism.