Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Apologies if already posted 

I really hope I move past feeling the need to compare against the previous dregs of football management we've previously endured. But for now, the thing that jumps out every time when I've heard him speak about the club and fans in general is that he never talks about pressure, never talks about 'it's blessing when we're good but a burden when not so good' (even though I think our own fans would admit that at times).

It's always in a positive light, nothing to try and shift blame just in case things go wrong in the future. Such a small but obvious thing that should've stopped many of the shithouses we've had in charge from stepping near the club if the previous owner had any respect for the assets he invested in.

Alas, that's in the past and it just feels so good to have a manager you want to listen to again. :smitten:

image.thumb.png.a25d90910a464be5bb365970f13daa69.png

That's since Match Day 20, or in other words the second half of the season. Top 4 form. Absolutely incredible.

Sure, we've spent. But Bruno who is about half our record outlay didn't even get in the side for ages and Trippier, our other marquee signing has been out for ages along with our best goalscorer in Wilson.

Wood, the remaining large chunk of what we spent, has largely (and incorrectly IMO) been lambasted by many as a massively overpriced waste of money leaving just Dan Burn who cost about what, £10-12m and loanee Targett?

Basically, once Howe managed to get his ideas across and got a couple of key bodies in, we're absolutely flying. Insane stuff.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Just some generic stuff about how Newcastle was an attractive job but different to Arsenal, but in the end how being in the CL at VR was too important. Which is fine, but he shoud have said that at the time instead of trying to shift the blame to Stavely & co.

Reality is, he didn't fancy the challenge imo.

Fuck it...watta under the bridge and we're in a good position.  I wouldn't say I was sceptical of Howe, but I was definitely unconvinced (mainly down to my own ignorance)....I'm all aboard now.  Wouldn't want anyone else at this moment in time.

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Reality is, he didn't fancy the challenge imo.

Fuck it...watta under the bridge and we're in a good position.  I wouldn't say I was sceptical of Howe, but I was definitely unconvinced (mainly down to my own ignorance)....I'm all aboard now.  Wouldn't want anyone else at this moment in time.

He should have just said no then. I think he fancied it, but ultimately bottled it and tried to turn the blame on us. That is the bit I didn't like, other than that good luck to him in Spain, we've done well with Howe.

A lot rests on who we manage to get in and out of the squad this summer. Absolutely no reason we can't assemble a squad that can compete in that mini-league with Palace, Soton, Villa etc but if all goes well then we should be looking a few places up the league and mixing it up with Leicester, Wolves and West Ham. None of those teams are out of reach next year given a few starters coming in and improving things. We should be looking to haul a few teams in a year at a time, 3/4 starters brought in for the next few years will see us close that 20 point gap pdq. 

32 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

A few good signings and a bit of luck with injuries and I think 7th is within reach next year.

Might be a wee bit optimistic, but hey. Let's have a go.

I'm settling for nowt less than the world cup, such are my expectations as a geordie. 

Aim for top eight. Top ten should be the minimum. But a lot also depends on What our strategy is. I would hope we go out and buy some of the best young players in the world with a view to developing them within the club so they can be here for the best years of their career.

As to whether or not we judge Howe as a success I guess also depends on what role he has within recruitment. It’s the reason I think we should just give Brighton what they want to release Ashworth from gardening leave. Brighton are reported to want £5,000,000 to release him. Bringing him in nice and early with plenty of time to prepare for the window ahead and improve our scouting network could end up saving that much or more.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Just want to enjoy a season without the threat of going down. Don’t give a single shit which league position we finish in. 

Yeh, just a whole season without being a laughing stock or absolutely despising something fundamental about the club would be really welcome. 

Summer transfer window and a full season next year will give a good indication of what his potential to build on is and what his major flaws are and whether he can learn/improve or not

I'm happy we have him, this guy was touted as potential future England manager at one point. I am willing to wait and see if he fulfils his potential with us rather than jump at a short-term appointment that doesn't understand the club, the fans, the city, etc

I would be happy if we finish 7th-8th next year with a decent cup run and think it would be a great first step forwards.

Ambition? 7th. Target? Top half. Less than that? A bit of a pity on first sight, dependent on things like expenditure and luck. Relegation shouldn't be near consideration though.

Plus an obligatory cup run - hopefully we'll have enough squad depth to do something there without screwing up our bread and butter. Might get us a place in Europe via the back door, so shouldn't be treated as frivolous.

Where would the form we've had since he's been here have us? Presuming its 8-10.

People might reasonably say with additions that should be higher but I'd be okay with something like that overall.

I think we may be playing differently because of the situation inherited than we would if we began afresh so may be some teething problems.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Where would the form we've had since he's been here have us? Presuming its 8-10.

People might reasonably say with additions that should be higher but I'd be okay with something like that overall.

I think we may be playing differently because of the situation inherited than we would if we began afresh so may be some teething problems.

Yesterday it was 8th, but there might have changed with today's results.

A good summer and finish at 50+ points next season, a whole season of building this team into what he wants it to be and preparing for a top 7 push the season after.

Edited by Nine

4 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Form since Christmas has us knocking on the top 4... But like you say, a fresh season might have it's own teething problems. It took Robson nearly two years to crack the code and get us out of midtable, it shouldn't be forgotten.

If Palace, that Wolves team, an accident-prone Leicester and a Brighton side allergic to goals are capable of securing 8th-11th, then it shouldn't take a great deal for us to be among them next season. Once this season is gone, it's gone; if we have sufficient flexibility in the transfer market (i.e. a handsome budget and the ability to shift as much deadwood as possible) it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that we even rival West Ham as teams snapping at the established top 6.

That's not my prediction as such, I just think there's enough mobility between 7th-13th that there are opportunities available to us if we make good decisions and invest effectively. As much as it pains me to admit, the top six is the top six atm and it's going to take a sustained calamity and/or disproportionate investment for any of the chasing pack to wrestle their way in as soon as next year. 

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If Palace, that Wolves team, an accident-prone Leicester and a Brighton side allergic to goals are capable of securing 8th-11th, then it shouldn't take a great deal for us to be among them next season. Once this season is gone, it's gone; if we have sufficient flexibility in the transfer market (i.e. a handsome budget and the ability to shift as much deadwood as possible) it shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that we even rival West Ham as teams snapping at the established top 6.

That's not my prediction as such, I just think there's enough mobility between 7th-13th that there are opportunities available to us if we make good decisions and invest effectively. As much as it pains me to admit, the top six is the top six atm and it's going to take a sustained calamity and/or disproportionate investment for any of the chasing pack to wrestle their way in as soon as next year. 

I mean I think we’re already at the place to which you allude in your first paragraph - that’s where we’d be, maybe higher, if we didn’t waste a quarter of the season on Bruce and Jones. 

I think we could crack the top 6 without a huge amount of investment - I think a lot would have to break right, but West Ham aren’t that impressive and Manchester United Football Mall are worse. We also have the advantage of no European football, and not being run by idiots and dildo salesmen respectively. 

That crude analysis of course doesn’t factor in improvement at other well-run clubs - I think Wolves fall into that definition and I think Leicester without European football would be difficult to surpass. Don’t get the hype about Crystal Palace at all, grotty club with a bang average side.

Annoyingly, despite their issues atm I think it's only a matter of time until Man Utd sort themselves out and return to the top 4, reducing the room again as they replace Arsenal/Spurs. Meanwhile those latter two are looking increasingly settled in their management; Spurs in-particular could go from strength to strength assuming Levy etc don't prod too much at Conte's volatility. 

I've always hated the 'big six' suggestion because, despite that lot occupying the aforementioned spaces in 3 out of 5 seasons post-Leicester miracle, the likes of Leicester (again) and West Ham have proven that it's actually bullshit. However, sadly, I think they'll all have their act together next season. Maybe Chelsea's wheels will fall off but I can't see it unless Tuchel goes.