Jesse Lingard

Yep that’s where we’re at unfortunately. We’re in a position of weakness and other clubs will try to milk that for all they can get. Annoyingly they don’t have to sell/ loan even if it’s against the players wishes. 

Even if we ‘just paid it’ you can’t guarantee they wouldn’t have tried to squeeze a bit more out before the deal was signed. 

2 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

its not though. We would be the top payers of a loan fee given our league position and income. Man Utd can get him to us for money and not have to pay his wages or lose him for free in six months whilst paying his contract. 

We can either pay it or risk relegation.

I don't advocate us paying it, it's just clear to me our negotiating position is weak.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

Just now, gdm said:

Got to say fair play for walking away from this one. That’s ridiculous from Man Utd 

And do you think Man Utd will be the outlier or will other clubs we are dealing with be doing similar ?

Just now, madras said:

And do you think Man Utd will be the outlier or will other clubs we are dealing with be doing similar ?

Other clubs will similar but there is a difference between over paying to have a permanent transfer and over paying to have a player for a few months 

3 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

we can go elsewhere. Man Utd lose money. 

Agreed. But we're running in to the same problems on EVERY deal.

I said yesterday, if you want a big player in January you pay over their market value (January tax), in this window there also appears to be a Newcastle tax.

Either the owners bite the bullet or we don't sign elite players.

I'm all for walking away from the lingard deal given his contract status and age.

I'd have paid the Botman fee though because he'd improve with age and he'd be our CB for the next decade.

The owners will be judged on 1st Feb but as things stands it's not looking promising.

14 minutes ago, OCK said:

£15m is way too much, honestly happy with the club pulling away from deals where other clubs seem to be trying to take the piss. 

A decent scouting set up would be able to negate this in time once it's set up, I hope.

Paying £15 million to sign - let's face it - a player on the decline for 6 months is fucking mental.

1 minute ago, toon25 said:

A decent scouting set up would be able to negate this in time once it's set up, I hope.

Paying £15 million to sign - let's face it - a player on the decline for 6 months is fucking mental.

We’ve just paid £25m for Wood for six months.

No way he’ll be any use to use next season, if we’re planning on staying up.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

So, are we aiming far too high, or is it just going to be incredibly difficult to sign anyone (other than massively overpriced end of career type strikers from relegation rivals)?

I think it's going to be hard in Jan, I think we'll get a couple more but not what we wanted. 

I don't think this should be seen as a negative for the owners. You can see the quality they are aiming for and how much they are willing to spend. As long as we stay up the future is very bright. 

I think they will literally target building a squad that is capable of challenging the top 4

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

I think it's going to be hard in Jan, I think we'll get a couple more but not what we wanted. 

I don't think this should be seen as a negative for the owners. You can see the quality they are aiming for and how much they are willing to spend. As long as we stay up the future is very bright. 

I think they will literally target building a squad that is capable of challenging the top 4

The staying up is the hard part. As of the 26th January we've only strengthened at right back, which I'd argue was one of the last positions on the pitch we actually needed to strengthen (obviously Trippier is a class above all of our other players so I'm not belittling that transfer).

A 1-0 win against a Leeds side missing their best players shouldn't be used to gloss over the horrendous predicament we're actually in. We need quality in now. They maybe need to stop targeting the top 4 players are start targeting the top 12-14 players instead.