Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

He’s not that defensive though. 

I’ll never forget when instead of shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, he turned around and lobbed it over the attacker to Willock (I think) on the left and it led straight to a goal.

Just now, LV said:

He’s not that defensive though. 

I’ll never forget when instead of shepherding the ball out for a goal kick, he turned around and lobbed it over the attacker to Willock (I think) on the left and it led straight to a goal.

Yep, that was Bruno's last minute winner against Leicester at home.

if he maintains his form going into the new season, and with a bit of luck, he could be in serious contention for an England call up to the World Cup. imagine that??

starting this campaign early... TARGETT FOR ENGLAND

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Yep, never mentioned a number. Just confusion as to whether the s was plural or missing an apostrophe.

Sure I've read that there's a series of medicals for every player, so could be plural medicals booked in for one player. 

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He can’t attack too much because of ASM. 

Definitely, at the moment due to us having Wood and less quality on attacking CM and RM positions, ASM tends to try to do too much and get caught out. If Targett is high up trying the overlap and ASM loses it then we can get caught down the left easily. If we have better attacking prospects in middle and right, people won't be doubling and tripling up on ASM so much and I think this situation gets better.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Klaus said:

I thought Villa fans didn't rate him much?

4 of my family members do and don’t rate Digne or Gerrard…

They did rate him iirc just said he was shite on the ball (but absolutely solid defensively), which might have been down to Smith. 

Digne could be a great left back in a well coached team, and would definitely be most (non-defensive) managers choice over Targett like [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

They did rate him iirc just said he was shite on the ball (but absolutely solid defensively), which might have been down to Smith. 

Digne could be a great left back in a well coached team, and would definitely be most (non-defensive) managers choice over Targett like [emoji38]

On 20/01/2022 at 19:48, brummie said:

Late to the party on this one. 

Targett is defensively very solid indeed. Had a poor first season with us, then a brilliant second one (think he was player of the year, or thereabouts).

If we let him go, it'll be because he doesn't offer enough going forward, and attacking full backs is a key tenet of Gerrard's way of playing.

If you're looking for a defensively very strong full back, though, Targett is definitely that. I'd much rather keep him, even if he's now behind Digne.

Seeing as he's staying, I assume that when his lass said "short but sweet" on Instagram, she was on about the height of his top lip as opposed to the length of their stay on Tyneside.