Newcastle United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion: 18/05/23 @ 19:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Gonna need a Joelinton beast like midfield performance up against Caicedo.

I’m really looking forward to this game, think it’ll tell us a lot where this team is going forward and what’s needed to make the next step to winning trophies.

We’ve played well against top teams in big games with no pressure on us in my opinion, the one truly big game against a top team with pressure involved was the cup final.

Have these players got the nerve and big game mentality to finish the job, I think they have but Thursday will be the acid test.

1 minute ago, jackyboy said:

Brighton have no more experience than us in big games so they should be feeling the pressure as much as us

Aye, they are desperate for any sort of European football. They actually don't seem confident....maybe they should spend a day on here listening to me :lol: 

People are definitely overstating how well Brighton played against a dejected Arsenal side / crowd, and overplaying how we played against a team and crowd battling to beat the drop.

Thursday will be an entirely different game, with a huge atmosphere and a team (us) knowing exactly the kind of performance we need to put in. Brighton won’t know what hit them if the atmosphere is anything like it was for Arsenal / Spurs. No doubt they’re a good side, but we are better.

I’m confidently going for a 3-1 victory.

24 minutes ago, Stifler said:

And is from Merseyside, is not allowed to referee Liverpool or Everton games.

I’d say hope he’s an Everton fan but they hate us as well.

I think we need to go back to top tier shithouses to win this. Since the World Cup they are a head of us in the table. I hope longstaff is fit as I'd probably go with Joelinton LW if we can.

Brighton league form in 2023…

Everton 1-4 Brighton

Brighton 3-0 Liverpool

? Leicester 2-2 Brighton

Brighton 1-0 Bournemouth 

? Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton

Brighton 0-1 Fulham

Brighton 4-0 West Ham

? Leeds 2-2 Brighton

Brighton 1-0 Crystal Palace

? Brighton 3-3 Brentford

Bournemouth 0-2 Brighton

Spurs 2-1 Brighton

Chelsea 1-2 Brighton

Nottingham Forest 3-1 Brighton

Brighton 6-0 Wolves

Brighton 1-0 Man Utd

Brighton 1-5 Everton

Arsenal 3-0 Brighton

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Can’t be fucking right that we’ve got a scouser reffing this ffs.

It shouldn't be that much of a surprise since 70% of refs in the PL are either scousers or Liverpool fans anyway.

42 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Brighton league form in 2023…

Everton 1-4 Brighton

Brighton 3-0 Liverpool

? Leicester 2-2 Brighton

Brighton 1-0 Bournemouth 

? Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton

Brighton 0-1 Fulham

Brighton 4-0 West Ham

? Leeds 2-2 Brighton

Brighton 1-0 Crystal Palace

? Brighton 3-3 Brentford

Bournemouth 0-2 Brighton

Spurs 2-1 Brighton

Chelsea 1-2 Brighton

Nottingham Forest 3-1 Brighton

Brighton 6-0 Wolves

Brighton 1-0 Man Utd

Brighton 1-5 Everton

Arsenal 3-0 Brighton

Plenty of iffy results amongst that, they are obviously a very good team but far from unbeatable and nothing for us to be scared of . Failed to win at Leicester , Palace, Leeds ,Spurs and Forest . Nothing at all in them away

results apart from the Arsenal one that suggests we won’t beat them.

Edited by Geogaddi

I know it's crunch time, but for me I think this is a bit of a litmus test at a new level for Howe at Newcastle.

Our main style of playing plays right into Brighton's hands and it's probably better if we sit back and hit them on the break (like we did at home last season)

We have a much more ingrained pressing style now though, so I hope we're able to do it. Howe has almost never been naive imo, but Spurs away last season sticks in my mind as suicidal. Spurs were really good at that time, at letting teams press them, then fucking them up on the break, even beating Man City in that way. So when we went and did the same thing Man City did and got smashed 5-1, it was truly bizarre.

It's been a while since we've sat back and played on the break, the best example of it working probably being Man City at home, so we know Howe and we have it in our locker, and Howe's record against Brighton is very good (played 18, won 10, drawn 5, lost 3)

Our crowd will also be urging us forward, so I also hope we have some patience and understand that possession or pressing isn't the be-all-and-end-all.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Can taste the metalic edge on this already. Latter stages of the second-half in a tight game will be brutal.

Still not reconditioned to all these edgy games after the melancholic Mike Ashley era. Can't have been like this before even with such things on the line. Reckon next season it recedes.

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Can taste the metalic edge on this already. Latter stages of the second-half in a tight game will be brutal.

Still not reconditioned to all these edgy games after the melancholic Mike Ashley era. Can't have been like this before even with such things on the line. Reckon next season it recedes.

Tense latter stages of games and them turning to shit have went on way longer than Ashley.