Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

If they have any sense (which we know they do not), it would be a ridiculous decision to sell. They have caused themselves so many problems by constantly weakening the squad that it is going to take time to sort out. 

We are just starting to get a semblance of a team going with some understanding between players - what would be the sense in destroying that at the first opportunity.

They need to hold on to players until they get themselves into a stronger position where selling a player will not totally destabilise the club as it has done in the past.  The financial side is no longer a issue with the TV money.  If a player is agitating to move e.g. Sissoko then that is different because as we have learnt an unhappy player ends up being more of a hindrance.  I don't see Perez as being a difficult player to manage as he just seems to want to play football and to keep learning.  (He most certainly deserves a new contract as he will probably be on peanuts compared to his teammates).

There are enough players at the club that need to be moved on because they either don't want to be here or no longer contribute anything meaningful rather than looking to sell those who are happy to stay for the time being and are a key area of the team.

I see TCD cutting a lonely figure, typing away with his hoodie up in darkness, a pariah in lives both digital and real. People should take it easy on him. We all know people who have wildly opposing opinions to, well, almost everyone else.

Keep beating on, TCD, boats against the current.

Thought you were agreeing with him? :lol:

He's another one embarrassing himself just to disagree with me.

I was on your side and defending you! Wtf, lol :lol:

This TCD rhetoric has reached toxic levels, like. Everyone needs to calm down and have a drink (including the dude himself).

He's making every single thread fucking shite and has done for months, so the digs will continue from me until he winds his neck in or fucks off :thup:

NE5 levels of thread derailment tbh.

I can see him wanting to go, he's already mentioned Spurs interest before the season started and it sounded like an invitation to try again. I'll be gutted if he goes, he's a star in the making and we'll under sell him.

Translated interview with Marca (between the Chelsea & Man City games)

Are you still angry about the draw with Chelsea?

More than angry, I have a feeling of unfinished business. I've gone over and over it in my mind. I'm happy to have scored, but I can't shake the disappointment of letting two points slip in the last few minutes.

A goal and an assist. What impression are you left with after your great performance against Mourinho's men?

The goal was so unexpected. The ball came in high, I took advantage of the defenders' indecision to sneak between them and knew that I had to control it and hit it as soon as possible.

The assist also came in such an unexpected way. Wijnaldum, who ended up scoring, was supposed to take the corner, but, I don't whether for intuition, confidence, or tiredness, I said I would take it...and it ended up going in, which is the important thing.

You stared alongside Pedro in the first Tenerife derby in the history of the Premier. How was it?

Although we played against each other, it was an enormous pleasure to play alongside someone as big as Pedro and enter in the history of our island. After the match we talked about how we were adapting in England, how things were going for both of us, and we switched shirts and hugged. He's an amazing person.

Now that you're doing well in the Premier...Do you remember when you were transferred to San Andrés three years ago?

I remember it perfectly. I was a youth player in my second year and I received a phone call from the club to consider my situation. They told me that they didn't count on me developing and they intended on transferring me to the team of my choice. I chose to return to San Andrés, the team where I started and I had a great season.

They accused you of being physically weak.

Yes, that was one of the primary reasons. My physique, strength as well as height, did not help me. It was a struggle, but I finished growing and then developed physically which is something I have improved on every year. I have attempted to correct that lack by working a lot in the gym. Up until a year and a half ago I had a personal trainer to work on my body.

What did you learn that year?

Getting out of my routine that I had at C.D. Tenerife was good for me. I could play with more liberty and learned a lot. I returned very changed on both a personal and footballing level.

Did you think then that you would go so far?

Not even close. I always liked the premier, but, if I'm being honest, I never thought I would get to where I am today, playing against world class players.

You shot to prominence at Tenerife, but you seem to have completed your apprenticeship at Newcastle.

The demands of the Premier League make you learn and improve you as a player. It's a very competitive league where the pace of the game is fast and furious. I'm known above all for my technical ability, but I have to show that I'm willing to put in a shift defensively too. You have to give your all.

You have started three matches and come on as a sub in four more. Were you expecting to play more?

Maybe I did expect to feature a bit more in the opening rounds of fixtures, but the start of the season is complicated: new signings had come in, as well as a new coach…. Now it seems my hard work is paying off. I'm feeling pretty good, very close to 100%.

Since you've gotten to Newcastle, you've played as an attacking midfielder on the right, in the center and the left, you also played as a striker...Where do you feel most comfortable?

That variety is good for me. I've played in various positions and I've adapted to what the manager decides, but where I feel most comfortable is as a second striker, like against Chelsea.

What's your relationship like with Aleksandar Mitrovic, your new strike partner?

We get on really well both on and off the pitch considering how little time we've known each other for. I think you could see that the other day against Chelsea. We have distinct styles and I think the mix works well. We can score a lot of goals together.

Today you play against Mancester City. What does Newcastle need to achieve the first victory of the season?

It's our unfinished business. Against Chelsea the team got better and that's what we need to continue doing. We know that we're capable. Excuses are no longer valid. We'll have a difficult challenge in City, but we've already tied United and Chelsea. Hopefully we can get points.

Why didn't you end up at Tottenham in the summer?

Tottenham and especially Mauricio Pochettino were really interested, which is hugely flattering for me. At the end of the day nothing came of it because Newcastle considered me an important player and wouldn't let me leave.

Sir Alex Ferguson has said that he has never seen a forward with "a foot as fast" as yours. What does that mean to you?

We all know Ferguson and know how great he has been for football. They are big words that I have to live up to, but I'm young and I still have a long journey ahead of me. I have to work if I want to get better.

One year ago Del Bosque said that you "are in competition with other strikers for a spot in the selection."

I achieved a dream in my debut for the U21 and now I have a bigger goal ahead of me: the absolute one. We know it is there and I hope to have the opportunity. For a player, there isn't anything bigger.

You scored seven goals in the Premier League last season. Have you set out to surpass that total?

As a striker, it's my job to score goals. I got a decent number last time round and although second-season syndrome can be an issue, particularly in England, my aim is to improve on that tally.

Your goal against West Brom was chosen as the best Newcastle goal in the 2014-2015 season. How do you remember it?

It's one of the best of my still short career. I got a low cross with power and it occurred to me to use my heel, which ended up going in next to the post.

Does the presence of your brother Samuel assuage homesickness?

He is, without a doubt, the biggest help and support I've had in Newcastle. He's incredibly important. He's always with me. Furthermore, he plays football. He's always dreamed of playing professional football and he has never given up. He works to one day have that opportunity.

Had a dream he went to Man City, was totally gutted! Let's hope he keeps making the rapid improvement, in my opinion our most important player at the minute that's how highly I rate the lad.

Had a dream he went to Man City, was totally gutted! Let's hope he keeps making the rapid improvement, in my opinion our most important player at the minute that's how highly I rate the lad.

I'd say he's our best player, but our most important is Mitrovic. Without him, everything really does fall apart.

I'd say he's our best player, but our most important is Mitrovic. Without him, everything really does fall apart.

Ayoze was arguably our best player last season as well, when we didn't have Mitro.

Ayoze was arguably our best player last season as well, when we didn't have Mitro.

Ayoze has been our best player these last two seasons but he's still not a natural goalscorer, having someone like Mitro next to him increases the effectiveness of him in the team. Without Mitro, even with Ayoze's talent we'd struggle for goals.

Ayoze has been our best player these last two seasons but he's still not a natural goalscorer, having someone like Mitro next to him increases the effectiveness of him in the team. Without Mitro, even with Ayoze's talent we'd struggle for goals.

Most definitely, and I hope to see these two blossom into a full fledged homo romance up top. We've not had a real strike partnership since Bestie-Lovenkrands.

Most definitely, and I hope to see these two blossom into a full fledged homo romance up top. We've not had a real strike partnership since Bestie-Lovenkrands.

Is it just me, or does anybody else find that last observation depressing ( not the length of time, so much, as the pairing)

Can't recall Best and Lovenkrands ever really playing together, tbh. ??? Best and Ba had a functional and pretty fruitful partnership in 2011.

Lovenkrands' only consistent strike partner was Carroll.